sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Have a new ISUZU D-Max june 2012,

Have a new ISUZU D-Max june 2012, want to put a fuel filter/water trap in the fuel line behind the Cab near the fuel tank pick-up, this will be in the SUCTION LINE will this be OK ?

Will there be problems with priming the filter? 

Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The line that you would want to tap into to install your filter will be the line that brings fuel from the tank up to the engine, rather than the return line where fuel is flowing back to the tank. Just make sure that your filter is mounted up out of the way where it won't be hit by road debris and the lines are out of the way of any hot or spinning components.

Priming the system won't be an issue. When you are installing the filter do your best to not let the fuel run back out of the line up to the engine. Use something to plug the line the best you can. When you install the new filter fill it as much as possible with clean fuel and then install it.

I'm assuming you have the diesel engine, which has a common fail fuel system. Common rail fuel systems don't require any manual bleeding. Once you are ready to start it just crank the starter until it starts, which should be pretty quickly. If it doesn't start within 10-15 seconds then let off and let the starter cool for 30 seconds or so, then crank again. It should start and run pretty easily.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience