Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

isuzu rodeo: I have a 1999 Isuzu rodeo, with a 2.2 liter motor.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Isuzu rodeo, with a 2.2 liter motor. I am trying to set the timing on it, and it has 2 timing marks auslass exhaust, and einlass intake?? Which mark do I set it on?? One or both?? and it has just a mark i have pic with it. and can you e mail a exect diagram on it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem resolved. Here is a picture of the marks you are suppose to use with instructions. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

http://db.tt/WBsdwKdI

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that did not answer my question, I need to know exactly what mark to put it on?? On the passenger side cam which one of these marks do you put it on? auslass exhaust or einlass intake mark. the drivers side is the same, so which marks do I set it on??

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Upload the pictures you have for me and I'll circle the marks to use. You can click on the paperclip icon to upload pictures. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The cam gear on intake side of engine needs to be on the intake mark and cam on exhaust side of engine needs to be exhaust mark. The gear on right "front of engine' is for exhaust and gear on left "rear of engine" should be on intake. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks Kevin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you dan very very very good job

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I am happy I could help Kevin, let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks again and have a good evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the bottom cam shaft stops at about 5 oclock and won't let me go to 6 oclock. why do you think it won't let me go to 6 oclock? Or is 5 oclock ok? Or is there something else I'm possibly doing wrong? thank you

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Try to turn it the opposite way or move the crank so the piston allows more clearance to turn cam. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It stops between six or 7 on the other side, I might be off alittle on the top and that might be why this is off. It is getting dark here, and I will continue with this in the morning. thank you so much for your help. this has been driving me nuts all day. Your help has been helping me alot!! I hope to be able to talk with you in the morning if I have further questions. I have already had to put a new head on it because I bent the valves once. I don't want to do that again. thank you again. talk to you in the morning.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Kevin, let me know in the morning. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to send a picture, but I can't get it to go thru. auslass exhaust and einlass intake markings are on both cam shafts, and I tried intake on intake and exhaust on exhaust and it will only go to 5 oclock. Is the 5 oclock mark ok? Or is it something else I'm just not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the top ok. what is the bottom crank shaft suppose to be set at? 6 oclock don't work. thank you

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It needs to be at 6 o clock, try to move the cams so you can move the crank. Then when you get it all together rotate the crank 2 revolutions by hand. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I set it at 6 oclock it will not let me open the intake side? Do both of them need to be closed when the piston is at top dead center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the intake and the exhaust valve have to be closed when at dead center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't mean to be a pest, but this is driving me nuts. My question is do the valves need to be open or closed when at dead center

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
They should all be closed on the cylinder #1. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. I am sorry about the delay I'm just getting ready to have people come over for Super Bowl. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much, I'm going to go try it now. You have been a great help so far, have a good superbowl party. I will get back to ya

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dan can you tell me the fireing order on the coil pack and i hope these is the last question .the poeple at auto zone said the intake should be open. that is why im asking so many question.i tried to start it i hope i did not bend any thing it truned easy. trust me if it start you will get a tip. thank getting close

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of the firing order, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

-

http://db.tt/8pwydq4f

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still can't get this to start. two other friends of mine are saying one should be opened and one should be closed? this car is driving me nuts!! does the timing belt cover need to be on in order for it to start also? I noticed there looks like a censor or something on it? I hate to keep bothering you, but you seem to know what you are talking about. I have checked the coil pack, the fuses, plug ins, and I just can't figure it out. talk to ya soon. Thanks again for all your help. When I do get it started, I will reward you greatly.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you could take a picture of how you lined up timing marks that may help so we can get that out of the way. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of how it is set up, does all the top cover and air covers need to put on before it will start?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No the covers do not need to be put back on. The picture didn't come through. Also you would only want to try and run it if timing marks are correctly lined up and engine will rotate by hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the number one piston tds and the valve should be close or open

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The #1 cylinder should be on compression stroke which requires all valves to be closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

u think it may be 180 off

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It is possible and worth checking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will bolt valves open at the same time

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No, the intake valves open allowing air to come into engine on intake stroke and exhaust valves open an on exhaust stroke. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks Kevin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I have the top cams accidentaly mixed up on the top would that make a difference in starting it?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could cause a problem, also you should have the timing marks where the cam gears mount correctly. The one on exhaust side on exhaust mark and one on intake side on take mark. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can i get your email so i can send pic

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can click the paperclip icon to upload picture. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get them

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't, you can also email them to info@justanswer.com and they will email them to me..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i sent them

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it might take awhile for them to forward the pictures to me. I'll let you know when they do. THanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After the piston hits top dead center, which valve should open first? the exhaust or the intake. Maybe I have the cams mixed up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AFTER THE PISTION HITS TOP DEAD CENTER. WHICH VALVE SHOULD OPEM FIRST? THE EXHAUST OR THE INTAKE. MEBE I HAVE THE CAM MIXED UP

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There is a intake stroke which has valves open to suck in air, then valves close for the compression stroke, then power stroke where valves are still closed, then exhaust stroke where exhaust valves open up to allow exhaust to escape engine. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which one should open first? I might have the cams backwards

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
After the compression stroke the exhaust valves is the next to open. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I turn it by hand on the compresson stroke the intake opens

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You could try to swap around the camshafts to see if that makes a difference I am not sure how you could verify the camshafts are in the correct place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I start this isuzu i want to make sure the torque is set right, is it metric or standard? And what should I set each torque on, and how should I torque it? Thank you, I hope all you have taught me will start this car.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What part are you trying to torque down? Thaks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the timing to the tee, but I think when I torqued the head to tight I warped the head? I'm bringing it back to the machine shop and see if they can level it for me. I bought a new torque rench, and it says to torque the heads at 18lbs and turn each on 90 degrees 3 times?? shouldn't it be set tighter then that? there is steps 1. set at 18lbs, 2. turn 90 degrees, 3. turn 90, 4. turn 90. I did that and it still is leaking fluid out the exhaust, and there is water in the oil? white smoke it coming out the back end of the car too?? you will get a great tip when all this is done. I appreciate your help alot!! do you know the exact torque?? I will get back to you after I get the results if the head is warped. thank you, I buy and sell cars and this one just has me in a terrible bind. if I didn't have so much time and money in it , it would go to the junk yard. but it is a nice lookin isuzu and I do not want to have to do that. thank you

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That is the correct torque so I agree your head is probably warped. If its too warmed to fix you can get a used head from www.car-parts.com Let me know how it goes, thanks.