Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

370z: Hi.i have a 2010 370z. Out of the blue it refused to

Hi.i have a 2010 370z. Out of the blue it refused to start 5 weeks ago. No problems prior to this. Waited a few minutes. Then it started. The same happened later same day. Next day it went in to limp mode while driving and refused to be turned off. It's an auto with Intelligent key. Had to call out the service chaps .forced to stall the car to switch it off. It then spent 3 weeks with agents and they could not figure it out. Eventually diagnosis was shortin gearbox electrical unit. Now they want to replace the gearbox at astronomical cost as it is a sealed u it and cannot be repaired. But I have my doubts. Surely the symptoms point to the steering solenoid problem that other 370z's have? will replacing the steering lock fuse or even the solenoid fix it even tho the tests they have done point to the electrical unit in the gearbox. I hope this makes sense to somebody out there. Thanks.azgher Karjieker . Cape town. South Africa

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Need answer please. Will wait.

Were they able to duplicate the problem at all when they did the testing?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. They disconnect gearbox and everything works. Reconnect and all goes awry. But u still think the original problem was the steering solenoid.

O.k.,it is difficult to say for sure from here is this is the common issue with the steering lock causing this or if this is a fault in the gear box itself.Most likely since they can disconnect it and all is o.k. the gear box may be the component causing this here needing replaced unfortunately.

I would ask them what type of guarantee they offer that this will correct this issue this way if it doesn't correct the fault will they cover the costs of this gear box as well as the labor to install it as some shops/dealers will do if their diagnosis was incorrect.

I would also ask them if they would test/check the steering lock to make sure it isn't at fault here and if not possibly have a second shop or dealer inspect/test this to make sure it isn't at fault.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.