K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

honda civic lx: I have a 2001 Honda Civic lx, it has 210,000

I have a 2001 Honda Civic lx, it has 210,000 miles and has been fairly well maintained, a couple of months ago it developed a miss at low idle but seemed fine whenever the rpm was above 2000, also the fuel economy was about the same. We drove the vehicle like this for about 6 weeks and then one day my daugther was driving the vehicle and the engine began running real rough and then revved up to 5000 rpm and blew a rod. We are putting a new engine in this vehicle ourselves but we don't know what caused it to mess up in the 1st place. Do you guys have any ideals about what may be wrong and what we need to replace while we are doing the engine swap?

The JustAnswer mechanic said to replace the intake manifold gasket and the Idle control valve while we were putting the rebuilt engine back in. We did that and upon engine start up the engine ran real smooth for about 8-10 minutes than started idling rough and revving back and forth from 1700 to 2100 RPM. The engine check light came on, I checked it and it read P0505 which the book said was "Idle control problems". Do you guys have any ideas?
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer! I believe I help you previously. Glad to see you got the reman engine in. The PO505 is going to wither be a vacuum leak, dirty throttle body or bad IAC valve. I see you replaced the IAC valve and intake gasket which is great since we know those parts are good.
What you will need to do is follow these troubleshooting tips. Also I will post the vacuum line routing below so you can confirm all those are correct and hooked up.
Vac lines

Let me know how that goes and I will be glad to help further if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. How do I check for a vacuum leak?

The easiest way to check for vacuum leaks is to use a can of carburetor or throttle body cleaner with the little "straw" in the nozzle. Spray along where the intake meets the head, where the throttle body mounts and along vacuum lines. When you hit a leak the idle speed will change. It takes a little time just go slow and inspect every place where incoming air could leak at gasket joints.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found a unattached vacuum hose, I put it on and now car is running good. Thanks for your help, you did a good job.

Wonderful, this is what I love to hear! Happy motoring.