sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

I have an onan marquis gold 7000 generator that will start,

I have an onan marquis gold 7000 generator that will start, run for a few seconds and shut down. Thought it may be a fuel issue so I flushed out all the old gas with fresh gas in the lines and carb. Then checked the fuel filters and they were clear. None of this helped. What else can I check/replace to make it continue to run?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing you'll want to do is try to determine whether you are losing spark or fuel. When it dies you can either remove the spark plug wire, crank the engine and using insulated pliers hold the wire near the plug and see if spark will jump the gap. You can also use an inline spark tester which would be safer.

When it dies you can also spray some carb cleaner into the air intake while cranking it to see if it will run off of that. IF it will run off that you know spark is ok and you have a fuel starvation issue. If it was left with gas in the tank for an extended time then you may have debris and varnish in the carburetor that is preventing proper fuel flow through it. If that's the case then the carburetor will need to be removed and disassembled for cleaning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have spark, I tried the carb cleaner, it will not run on the carb cleaner. It fires up and runs for about 2-5 seconds then shuts down just like it would if you turned it off with the switch. What should I do now??

You have spark even after it dies, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after it dies, it will refire and die out again just like before. is that what you mean?

At the time it dies is when spark needs to be checked. If it restarts immediately as soon as it stops running you'll need to use an inline spark tester to be sure if you are losing spark or not since you won't be able to remove the plug wire and then check. With an inline tester in place if it still has spark as the engine dies and spins down then you know spark is ok, but if spark stops any time before the engine quits turning then you know it's an ignition issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will get one tomorrow and let u know.

Great!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

used the in line spark tester, could not detect a spark with the tester on either plug wire. tested the tester on another

engine to make sure tester is working and it was working fine. tried jumping the spark again spark jumped but seemed very week almost had to touch the wire to the screwdriver to get a spark. what next??

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you just as quick as I can!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

You're welcome!
If you did have some timed spark but it was very weak then you've got a weak ignition coil. It sounds like it's actually trying to fire and ignition signal is there but the coil is weak and isn't producing the spark energy that it should. Replacing the coil should have you running again.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience