sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Compass: taillights and licence plate lights has no power but

taillights and licence plate lights has no power but front parking lights dos when lightswitch is on in first position (parking lights), fuses are OK
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The lights are all controlled by the TIPM, the module/fuse box under the hood. If the TIPM sees certain problems on it's output circuits it can set a fault code and disable the output until the code is cleared. If you haven't already, the first thing you'll want to do is disconnect the battery. Disconnect the battery for a minute or so, reconnect it and see if the lights start working.

If not then some deeper electrical testing will need to be done. The problem will either be an internal failure of the TIPM or a wiring issue between the TIPM and the rear of the vehicle. If the circuit is shorted to ground or it's open then it will prevent the lights from working. Since the front park lamps do work you know that the switch input is ok and the problem is either the TIPM or the wire it uses to power the lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have tryed disconecting battery, no luck.

The car has an aftermarket trailer connection with a Trailersafe unit installed, could this be a problem ? If so how do i troubleshoot this, and do I need to take the car to the dealer before replacing the TIPM ?

Regards Kai

You really wouldn't want to replace the TIPM unless you were sure that was the problem. You'll want to be absolutely sure there isn't a wiring problem before replacing it, if you aren't up for the testing yourself then a dealer or shop would be your best bet to confirm the wiring is ok.

It's definitely possible that the trailer wiring could be causing an issue and that's something that will need to be addressed while the wiring is being tested. If there are poor connection issues where trailer wiring was spliced in or if the trailer wiring is shorted to something then it can cause this.

A test light is going to need to be used to first see if there is power leaving the TIPM. If there is but not in the rear then you know there is a broken wire in between and that break will have to be located.

If there is no power there then the bulbs will need to be unplugged and then check for a short to ground on the circuit. If there is no short and no power is coming from the TIPM then it will need to be replaced.

If there is a short to ground on the circuit somewhere then it will prevent the TIPM from powering the lights. This could be a wiring that has melted, rubbed or has been pinched and is shorted to a body component or another grounded wire. The short would need to be located and repaired and then see if it works. Sometimes shorts to ground can damage drivers in the TIPM, so if it doesn't work after repairing a short to ground the TIPM may still need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have traced the output cable from TIPM to front parking lights to colour code White w/yellow, there is also a secont White w/yellow cable coming from the TIPM, but this one is without voltage/power, if i cut this one and disconect battery/reset, it should have power is TIPM is OK ?

Regards Kai

White/yellow should be the right rear turn signal.

I'm showing the park lamp feed to be white/violet from the TIPM to the back and then to the left lamp, there is a splice and it changes color to white/black as it goes over to the right side. See if you can locate a white/violet wire on the left side, this will be your park lamp wire.

If you do locate it at the TIPM you can cut it there if you wish, disconnect the battery and then see if it powers up. If it doesn't then you know the problem is in the TIPM, if it does power up you know the circuit is either shorted to ground or the wire is broken somewhere between the TIPM and the rear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, my mistake, it was White w/violet :-) , it is poring down now, will cut cable and reset tomorrow and let You know the result an rate positive on the feedback.

Regards Kai

Have a nice weekend

Sounds great, let me know how it goes. Have a great weekend yourself!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have cheked cables at rear, no short, no power.

Do You know which colour the block/connector (that attaches to the TIPM) of cables that runs to the rear ? Just to make sure that i am tracing the correct cable/outlet.

Regards Kai

The wire is in pin 8 of connector 3, which is a brown 16-way connector.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank You for Your answers, have traced all cables from TIPM, and found a SEPAB EB706 unit for automatic driving lights under the dashbord, have tryed changing the unit, NO LUCK, have spliced the cut cable where SEPAB unit were connected and now the lights work fine vith switch in position 1 and 2, but now there is no driving lights automatic working, to have running lights You have to use switch.

Thank You for all help, regards Kai.

Is the module for daytime running lights, headlamps that come on during the day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is an aftermarket installment made by dealer when the car was new.

It is mandatory to use lights when driving even on daytime here in Norway.

Regards kai

Did the park lamps come on with the daytime running lights in the past? Normal DRL operation would be only the headlamps and no other lamps turned on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know, the car was bougth used 6 monts ago, and even if instruction book sea so, no headlights has turned on when i start the car, so both original setup and SEPAB unit has failed. Even now, when i have spliced the divided cable (used in SEPAB setup) white/violet, lights only turn on when i use switch in position 1 and 2.

Regards kai

I think I had misunderstood your last reply.

The park lamps are working correctly now, but the daytime running lamps no longer come on when you start the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Parking lights, instrument lights, taillights and licenceplate lights turn on when i turn light to position 1 and 2.

No runnlng lights when i start engine and light switch is in position 0

Regards Kai

Did the replacement running lamp module come with a manual or wiring diagram? i'm trying to determine how it's wired but have been unable to find a manual so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

https://mail.altibox.no/SOGo/so/XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX/Mail/0/folderINBOX/7684/2/Halvljusautomatik%20Compass%20EB893%20ver%202.pdf

This is the adress for the installation/wiring of the automatic driving light unit.

This unit has been disconnected now, and i am trying to get the original setup to work (main beam with low voltage turns on when engine starts).

Regards Kai

The link doesn't work, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am happy with how the car works now and will not try to alter setup, as all lights work when using switch.

Thank's for all help.

Will give best rating, regards Kai