Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Toyota Celica ST Sport: 1994 toyota celica coupe keeps blowing

Customer Question

1994 toyota celica coupe keeps blowing distributor
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

Was the distributor replaced with a complete new factory OEM distributor or an after market distributor?

Were all internal components in the distributor replaced as well?

Has wiring been checked going to the distributor to make sure it isn't damaged/shorted?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete, Wiring was checked,The 2nd hand dizzies were working well and the car ran smoothly while parked,After driving for 6 to 10 km it started to cough and splutter and then it died.Checked no sparked.3rd dizzie was the same.The car was hot.I am thinking the ECM is not working.It was reset by removing the battery terminals.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Was the complete distributor replaced each time or were any internal components swapped from each?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the complete dizzie was replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the whole distributor was replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the complete dizzie was replaced

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

After doing some research into this issue here I have located info on this model having some issues with the wiring to the distributor that can cause this fault.Even though the wiring appears to be in good shape I would thoroughly check it over to make sure there is no opens/cuts in it or damage of any kind.You may have to trace it the distance to where it runs to to see if there is a fault in it.

There may also be a voltage spike/surge from the electronic ignition switch that may be shorting out the electrical components in the distributor as well.I would also make sure the engine block has a good ground connection as a weak ground can cause this to fail as well.

These are the components I have located that may cause this issue here on this vehicle and need checked into to see if the fault can be located.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete.

I found your advice to be thorough but it did not solve the problem.

The Problem was in the distributor.They were all faulty,the last dizzie is now working well and the car is going,Thanks Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete