Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)
14357943

Land Rover Discovery Series II: I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. A month or so back after driving a short distance and sitting for a short time, 1/2 hour - 1 hour, it would not start, it would turn over but not start up. however this did not happen every time. Eventually - 15 minutes or so, it would start right up.
Recently, it stopped while my son was driving it, we were able to start it up eventually and get it home the few blocks from where it died. It now will not start at all. My brother in law (mechanic) replaced the Crank Sensor, but still it would not start.
I had it towed to another mechanic, he put it on the computer and the code is indicating the crank sensor is bad.
Thinking we had a faulty (new) crank sensor, the Mechanic switched to another crank sensor, but it still won't start and the code still indicates the crank sensor is bad. Mechanic says we need to take it to the dealer as he can't figure it out.
Before I spend any more money, is this a common problem or is it going to cost a bunch more to figure it out? The Rover has 189,000 miles and has had regular maintenance, has run with few problems other than a new alternator a year ago. It is in great shape and I hate for it not to be fixed but there is only so much money I am willing to invest due to the large number of miles.
Any help is appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 1 year ago.

Virtual Technician :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I've ran into this a couple of times.

Test the crankshaft sensor for 1-2 volts AC between pins 1 and 2 at the sensor connector while cranking the engine over. Pin 1 is Black/Yellow and pin 2 is Pink/Black.

2000 Discovery 4.0
Customer Concern: The engine intermittently dies while driving but will start after sitting for 15 minutes.
Average Reported Mileage: 90000
Tests/Procedures: 1. Check for an AC voltage out of crankshaft position sensor. It should be at least 1 volt AC while cranking.

2. If the reading is good at the sensor, check the same two wires at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

3. If the reading is good at the PCM, remove the PCM and check for damage to it such as water intrusion.
Tech Tips: These vehicles have been known for problems with moisture in the PCM or connectors, as it is located right next to the washer reservoir, under hood on the passenger side.
I'm not sure what happened with the site and the odd messages before my reply.
Experience: 25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your quick response. If it is a moisture problem - how do we dry it up / get rid of moisture and also prevent in future ?

This is a tough one to fix.

What I have done is fill the connectors with dielectric grease and make sure the rubber seals on the connectors are in good shape. (Usually I change them all - dealer only item)

Make sure when you or other service facilities are refilling windshield wash - don't spill.

There is often times an "anti freeze" in winter rated windshield wash.

It has been almost a year since I fixed the last one like this and so far so good! :)