Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Isuzu Rodeo LS V6 Automatic: I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo V6,

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo V6, it has problems starting in the mornings and after it has been sitting for a while. When the key is turned all the dashlights illuminate but no sound whatsoever, after I try it 1-15 times it finally starts right up.

I have had the battery replaced and all the cables cleaned and an anti-corrosion spray applied. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Its a tough call without doing some testing but I would be suspecting the starter, they often act this way when they are going bad. If you have the ability to do testing let me know and I can walk you through the testing. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, Thanks.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am able to do some testing, if you can tell me what to do I will try it tomorrow morning when this happens again.

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
Ok at the starter there will be a large and small terminal the large should have voltage all the time. The small terminal should get voltage when you attempt to start the engine, if there is power to both and the starter is not cranking the starter is bad. Let me know the results if there is no power to one of the terminals and I can help further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will check that. It should have voltage when the car is off or only when the key is turned?

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
The large should have voltage all the time. The small terminal should get voltage when you attempt to start the engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it ussualy a red wire coming straight off the battery that should have voltage all the time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it usually a red wire coming straight off the battery that should have voltage all the time?

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is usually, it will be easy to tell one wire will be large and on small.