Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

chevy s--10 chevy: I have a 2002 Chevy s-10 with a 4.3L V-6

I have a 2002 Chevy s-10 with a 4.3L V-6 It will turn over but not fire sometimes. I changed the rotor button & cap 3 times in the last 2 years. It will run fine for a while then not fire again. Is there any thing else I can replace to see if this helps.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no check engine light. no codes. It is running fine now. Yesterday it took a few seconds to fire. The last time this happened a few months later if would not fire. I changed the plugs & wires the first time this happened. Started fine and ran fine for 6 months or so. then stopped fireing again

Mike,

Do you know if the engine has spark when it does not fire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no the button tip looks burnt when I replace it

Mike,

The reason I ask is because this hard start condition is usually fuel related. Not spark. Usually the fuel pump is weak causing low fuel pressure during cranking which causes a hard start condition. Check for a minimum of 58 psi when cranking during this hard start condition. Also, the fuel pressure inside the intake can leak causing this low fuel pressure and hard start condition too.

If the fuel pressure checks out ok when this happens and your sure that you are losing spark during this hard start condition, then you could just have a bad distributor. . Check to be sure ignition rotor has vanes on the underside for distributor ventilation which can help with this burning condition. In addition, with the new distributor cap installed, verify that the ignition system has consistent 30KV at each plug wire. If not, verify the ignition coil is getting fuel battery voltage and check and replace the crank sensor as needed. GM has released a Service bulletin out about a hard start condition because of the crank sensor. There are shims that you can install by the crank sensor to help with this condition.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!