Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Isuzu rodeo: I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo with a fuel gauge that

I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo with a fuel gauge that was inop. and was having low fuel pressure, so i have had the fuel pump and sending unit replace, i replaced the fuel filter, the mechanic who was trouble shooting my fuel gauge issue tested all the wires for shorts or open faults all the wires rang good from fuel pump to to th plug for the fuel gauge. He recomended that in his opinion the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster was bad. So i replace instrument cluster with one that was good same issue. but after fuel pump was replace the fuel gauge went from just ready empty to 1/4 tank. my qustion is gould something in the tank be messing with the floater on the sending unit? or could you ust point me in another direction to fix the gauge.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you have a PCM controlled fuel gauge on the Rodeo. The level sender sends a signal to the PCM and the PCM controls the fuel gauge. There was a service bulletin that called for the replacement of the level sender and a recalibration of the PCM to solve problems with fuel gauge accuracy. I've attached the bulleting below. It is possible tha the float arm is binding inside the tank and the level sensor is not reading accurately for that reason. The mechanic should remove the fuel level sender from the tank and connect it outside the tank and manually move the float arm to full then turn the key on and wait 5 minutes to see if the gauge reads full. If it does then the problem may be with the level sensor binding in the tank. If it only reads 1/4 gauge then the problem may be with the PCM calibration. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Level Sender Service Bulletin

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.