Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

2002 camery coil not firing till reaches 3000 rpms

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this -

Can you tell me some background on this - whats been happening / what you have done / checked / any parts replaced etc so far?

Too - what mileage does the vehicle have ?

Do you have any engine fault lights on the dash at all ?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1115,000, no engine light faults,

have done the following, #1 and #4 coil is not firing, I switch coils 6 with #4 and still not firing, if you rpms goes abover 3000 #4 starts firing but when it drops down to idle it stops firing and had ecm sent off and check and they say it is fine

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
HI again...

Ok - in this scenario - the ecu is the usual suspect - because you get two cylinders not firing when there is a fault - such as you have mentioned now... That is typical of Fsu failure ( final stage unit) inside the Ecu...

The only other thing that would cause this, is a poor / bad wire to the coil - from the Ecu - so you need to check that very carefully - and checking the connections to the coil - and ecu.

But -- I have to say, from what you have described, I think you will find in the end this is indeed a fault with the Ecu...

bear in mind that its not a straight failure - ie, you say it works up the rev range - so its very probably working "on test".... I dont know if you made them aware of this fact - but it seems a mistake has been made in testing / test results unless as I say, you have a wiring issue.

It has to be one or the other as above... so check the condition of the connections / loom as above very carefully to either find the fault - or rule it out and then you are definately back to a fault within the ecu - the Fsu's.. at which point you either need to re send it back to them for testing -or use a different company...or insist they replace the Fsu's..or fit a different ecu.

Those are the ways forward on this one to get this cured for you for sure. Let me know how you get on..

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.