transman
transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
14457476

ckp sensor malfunction changed sensor all ready what could

Customer Question

ckp sensor malfunction changed sensor all ready what could it be
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 1 year ago.

transman :

Hi, welcome to just answers, can you please tell me what kind of problem you are having on your vehicle?

transman :

is it a no start?

Customer :

i have a 2006 pontiac g5 it has ckp malfunction and ive changed sensor it tends to surge a little bit as well

transman :

is the engine light on? is it hard to start? why was the crank sensor replace?

transman :

can you tell me the code stored on memory?

Customer :

yes engine light is on and no it starts right up and i thought that was the problem

Customer :

p0335 i beleive was code it was also throwing a evap code p440

transman :

ok, when the crank sensor goes bad the engine will loose spark and fuel injector signal and wont start.

transman :

ok let me check this codes i will be back in 2 minutes.

Customer :

allright thanks the p0335 was ckp malfunction

transman :

ok, there is a cam sensor and a crank sensor on this engine that synchronize together to deliver spark and fuel on time to the combustion chamber.

transman :

the problem when one goes bad is that the computer can not exactly determine wich one is at fault.

transman :

you may be having a cam sensor problem instead of the crank sensor

Customer :

where is cam sensor located at

transman :

this will explain the idle surge, thats why it is good to replace both not just one of them.

transman :

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor signal is incrementing.

Customer :

allright where is cam sensor located at

transman :

Full Size Image

transman :

The CMP sensor signal is a digital ON/OFF pulse output once per revolution of the camshaft. The CMP sensor does not directly affect the operation of the ignition system. The CMP sensor information is used by the PCM to determine the position of the valve train relative to the crankshaft position. By monitoring the CMP and CKP signals, the PCM can accurately time the operation of the fuel injectors. The PCM supplies the sensor with a 12-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit.

Customer :

allright thanks thats on a eco tec motor right

transman :

yes

transman :

Camshaft Position Sensor

Contact dealer for most current part and price information.

12576607 $77.62
Customer :

allright thanks i will let u know if it fixes it

transman :

no problem make sure you disconect the battery before replasing.

transman :

thank you.

Customer :

the code was actually p0315 would that amke a difference

Customer :

it was ckp variation not learned

transman :

thats even better because this means ckp variation not learn means the crank sensor and cam sensor are not synchronizing

Customer :

allright i change both of them i had new ones

Customer :

still throws code thow even when i clear it comes right back on

transman :

ok after that you may have to do a cam and crank sensor VARIATION LEARN PROCEDURE

Customer :

how do i do that

transman :

if this is necesary when you replace the sensiors then you will need a scanner to perform the following relearn procidure.

• Install a scan tool.
  • Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC.
  • Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
  • The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
    1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
    2. Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
    3. Observe the fuel cut-off specifications for the applicable engine.
    4. The engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated RPM value.
    5. Block the drive wheels.
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. DO NOT apply the brake pedal.
    3. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
    4. Apply and hold the brake pedal.
    5. Start and idle the engine.
    6. Turn the A/C OFF.
    7. The vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
    8. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
Customer :

will my ethos snapon scanner do that

transman :

i am not familiar with that brand but if you can see sensor data yes you should be able to.

transman :

and if not then you will need the snap on modis or the thec 3 from the dealer, but we dont know if it will come to that yet.

Customer :

accelerate with engine running on first part correct

Customer :

once i do that procedure should the light go out

transman :

yes that will synchronise the sensors to the cam and the crank shaft position.

transman :

you have to accelerate untill the rev limiter turns on then let go of the pedal and the computer will relearn then

transman :

do not accelerate the engine to maximum rpms , simply race it to about 5000 rpms untill the rev limiter kicks on then let go of the accelerator and let the engine idle