Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

suzuki vitara: I have a 2001 suzuki vitara .it will start and

I have a 2001 suzuki vitara .it will start and run for about 20 minutes then dies and will not re-start for about 30 minutes any ideas on what would cause this?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Have you done any testing while it will not start to see if problem is spark related, ,fuel related, ect? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i have not tested spark or fuel because it cranks and runs then stalls.

Running until engine warms up then starting once it cools down is a common symptom caused by a failed fuel pump. You can get a fuel pressure tester from your local parts store to monitor pressure key on engine off and compare when it runs to when it will not run. If the fuel pressure is lower while it will not start then verify pump has good power/ground and replace. Fuel pressure should be at least 38.4 psi, let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

Here are also replacement instructions.

-

http://db.tt/iNyUr03G

-

http://db.tt/HOUX2Nv8

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks Dan I willtry this and let you know how it turns out.

Sounds good Hewlette, make sure to let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks again and have a great night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dan the fuel pump was't the problem. I did a little more investigating and found out that the timing chain had been re-placed so I pulled the cover off to find that the teeth on the cam gears were breaking . I'm going to pull the head to see how much if any damage has been done. It does not appear to have jumped time but i'm not sure if I have any valve or piston damage. Thanks for your help.

I am happy to hear you figured out the problem. You will want to do a cylinder leakdown test to verify valves are good. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.