Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

ISUZU OASIS LS: 1996 ISUZU OASIS LS WONT GO OUT OF PARK

Customer Question

1996 ISUZU OASIS LS WON'T GO OUT OF PARK OR INTO REVERSE. WERE TOLD WE NEED GEAR SHIFTER CABLE (PART #586206) AND THAT IT HAS TO BE SPECIALLY MADE IN jAPAN WOULD TAKE UNTIL 5/1 TO GET HERE IN ORLANDO, FL. WE ARE "SNOWBIRDS" AND THIS ISN'T MUCH HELP FOR US THIS YEAR. IS THERE SOME OTHER PLACE WE COULD GET THIS?
WE ALSO HAD THE TAIL LIGHTS GO WHILE CAR WAS PARKED OVER NIGHT. MY HUSBAND SWITCHED FUSES AND FIXES THAT PROBLEM. IT SEEMS LIKE THE OUT OF PARK PROBLEM BECAME WORSE AS IT WAS JUST HARD TO MOVE SOMETIMES, AND THE REVERSE WAS NEW. COULD THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM?
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do everything I can to to answer your question. Let me first ask, Do the brake lights work? Sometimes the shifting from park can be caused by the brake lamp circuit not being powered up. Check the brake lights and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the brake lights are now working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the brake lights are on and working.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
OK Sheila, If the brake lights were not working, I would have a suggestion. If that circuit is good though, I will have to opt out and open the question to other experts. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I just wait here for another expert or do I need to check my e-mail for the next experts reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand how or when I will hear for "other experts". Please advise.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
When I "opt out" that means I really do not an answer I can give you with confidence. As I have some ideas, but they are just theorys. So when I "opt out" that posts your question back on the board for all other car experts. If one feels they can give a confident answer, then they will be able to post to your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't received another reply. Can you answer where I might try to obtain the gear shifter cable--new or a used that would be reliable? I understand that this 1996-98 was made by Honda and basically the same as the Odyssey. That Isuzu made one of Honda models inreturn then. So do you know if the 96 Odyssey part could be substituted?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I see no one has replied Sheila, it's probably because this is a relatively low production vehicle being a 96 isuzu and not very many techs have experience with this model, however, Let me suggest a couple of things.

Lets try this, Just turn the key to the first position, and without the engine running or your foot on the brake, see if it will come out of park then, if it will, crank the engine in neutral and move it from the yard.

If it won't, if you take the shifter cable off the transmission at the manual lever on the transmission, You get inside with the Emergency brake on, and your foot on the brake, crank the engine and let it idle, have your husband click the lever one time for rever, and 3 times for drive. You can move the van then. because the shifter calbe will not be attached to the transmission manual lever then. let me know if this helps.

I'll look for a cable in the meantime.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Is this column shift or floor shifter? thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IT IS A COLUMN SHIFT.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Does your Oasis have this? There is a shiftlock release slot on the odyssey. It is on top of the steering column Near where the column meets the instrument cluster. It looks like another spot to put the key. Not sure if the Oasis has it, let me know.

Shift Lock Release
This allows you to move the shift
lever out of Park if the normal
method of pushing on the brake
pedal and pulling the shift lever does
not work.
1. Set the Parking brake.
2. Remove the key from the ignition
switch.
3. Insert the key in the Shift Lock
Release slot on the steering
column.
4. Push down on the key while you
pull the shift lever towards you
and move the shift lever out of
Park to Neutral.
SHIFT LOCK RELEASE SLOT
5. Remove the key from the Shift
Lock Release slot. Depress the
brake pedal and restart the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it does and that is how my husband is able to drive it , but only forward as it will not go into reverse.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the shifter does come out of park when using the override, then the shifter cable which runs from the steering column to the transmission is not the problem. If the shifter does move to the reverse position, but you get no Reverse, then that is most likely an internal issue with the transmission. Can you get the gear selector to move into the reverse position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I AM GUESSING THAT IT WILL NOT GO INTO REVERSE. BUT I CANNOT GIVE YOU A DEFINITE ANSWER UNTIL TOMORROW.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I assume that when the shift lever is in park, the vehicle doesnt roll on a hill. If so, then the transmission shift lever does have its full range of travel with the gear stick. The shift lever at the transmission will only move about 3 inches total. Every 1/2 inch or so puts the transmission in another gear position. So if the vehicle wont roll in park, but you do have drive. That tells me that the shift lever on the transmission is passing through the reverse position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES BILL SAYS THAT HE IS LEAVING CAR IN NEUTRAL WITH THE BRAKE ON AND CANNOT REMOVE THE KEY (IN NEUTRAL). THAT IT WILL GO IN AND OUT OF REVERSE NOW THAT THE "KEY" GOT IT OUT OF PARK--BUT IT STICKS, IS HARD TO MOVE, BUT EVENTUALLY DOES SHIFT INTO D. HOWEVER, NOT SAFE TO DRIVE IN ORLANDO TRAFFIC.

TODAY I FOUND A PART ON THE WEB THAT SAYS IT IS COMPATIBLE TO USE. CAN YOU FIND OUT IF THAT WOULD WORK?

IT IS:

OE Ford Yf1Z7E395Ba Transmission Gear Select Shifter Cable, Column Shift

I THINK THIS WOULD BE THE PART THE GARAGE SAID WE NEEDED. ??

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I understand, but it will go into reverse and the transmission will pull in reverse, it's just the stick binds up and is hard to move due to the cable binding, ask Bill if he sprayed WD 40 on every cable end, and ask him to look out at the tranmission where the cable attaches and see if he can spray some WD 40 on it out there, also, look up under the steering column, anything that moves with the shifter. spray it, it can't hurt. That is a shifter cable, but it won't fit your Isuzu. It's for a Ford.

The one you need for your Isuzu, (or this Honda Odyssey in my opinion it's the same part).

Is this You can order one at RealHondaParts.com Get one for a 1996 Odyssey. It is component number 21 in this diagram at the bottom. They call it a wire control.

2154315-SX0-A82WIRE, CONTROL0011996ODYSSEY251.78176.25Qty:

graphic

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS AGAIN. XX XXXX XXXX TO FIND THE PART YOU MENTIONED AND IT IS AVAILABLE IN 3 DAYS. A BIG HELP TO US "SNOWBIRDS"!!

SHEILA AND BILL

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, Glad I was able to help, and I appreciate the bonus. We're here if you need us in the future. thank you.