Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)

We have a 2003 town and country van that started giving us

We have a 2003 town and country van that started giving us trouble this morning. What would make our van start cutting out(surging) the speedometer registers 20 to 40 mph while sitting at the stoplight.it is also making a whining noise. Is it time to get rid of it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does the suge seem to be the engine?or..the way the transmission shifts

tims auto repair :

?

Customer:

transmission

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Expert:  transman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to just answers my name is XXXXX XXXXX I hope to be of some help, it seems like the expert you were talking to is off line. Does the engine light flickers on and of as this surging is present?, do you mean the speedometer gage is still reading mileage with the vehicle not moving?, is it hard to restart when it stalls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Needed more information
Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue.

There are a couple of things that we can try to determine quickly where the problem might lie.

If these don't work, we might have to get a little more "In Depth"

1. Unplug the alternator to see if that is causing the problem. (Secure the wires so they do not "arc") If you can safely do this while the vehicle is running - that's fine - BE SAFE & SURE!!!

Do not drive the vehicle far - it is running off the battery

This can also produce the high pitch whine you are hearing

2. Unplug the transmission Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor and drive the vehicle. The transmission will not upshift, it will be stuck in second gear and that would be normal. The speedometer should not work at all. If the problem is gone with the OSS sensor disconnected, then replace the OSS sensor.

3. If the problem is still present, check the output shaft RPM on the scan tool to see if there is a signal coming into the Transmission Control Module (TCM) from something else, like a wire harness problem.

Experience: 25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)

Good morning,

Just checking in to see if my information helped you.

Have a great weekend,

Rich