Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master/Advanced Specialist, Chrysler Triple Master
10114124

1.Looking to setup a transportation company like a taxi cab

1.Looking to setup a transportation company like a taxi cab service. What are all permits and licensing in the state of Michigan, and in general (other states) that I will need in order to move forward should I do this?

2.Also considering an auto shop in Livonia Michigan. What are all permits and licensing I will need for the state of Michigan and in general (other states) in order to move forward with this?

3. I am in need of a list of all of the heavy equipment and tools that I will need for the to open this Auto Shop and perhaps a definition of what each tool is used for. Can you convey this information or send me to a site or direct me to an easy to read manual that will have this information?

4.For the state of Michigan and perhaps other states is there a current law on the books that says that an auto shop must have an air ventilation system or an air recycling system that says all exhaust fumes and toxic air must be pushed out. I have gone to many Auto shops, Oil shops, gas station shops, and have not seen this setup or install, but I have too gone to other shops and have seen this install. Please confirm and convey what the truth is?

5.Since I plan to open an auto shop soon is there anything else that you could recommend for me that might insure my success in this business?
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 1 year ago.

Leon Davidian,Sr. :

Welcome to justanswer.com My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Give me a few days to gather up all the information. I too, need to make some calls as well., to gain the latest regulations and permits in that state.

Cheers,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time, it will not got unnoticed...

You are Welcome, Leon
sorry i am going to opt out to allow another tech to help you while i fix my computer. i have a hard drive problem and will take a few days to get back on line. Thank you for your patience, Leon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating MY SERVICE and not this website itself.

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge dealership technician and I will need to ask a few questions before I can suggest a repair. I see that you are looking into getting a Taxi cab company started.. Well I just ran across your question and to tell you the truth I would like to get all of this info up for you but the bad news is that I work at a dealership and don't have an extra hour right now.. If it's ok with you can I research this and get all the info up and reply tonight? If not I will opt-out to another expert..Let me know.

Have a greatday!
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help if you don't think you have the time or the experience to convey the necessary information. I will understand...

Thank you again!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I'm gather some info now.. I will post back when I have all the nessessary documents for you..

Have a greatday!
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

awesome,

Thank you!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!!

Will post soon,
Brad
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your wait. To start off with I'm not sure on your mechanical skills so to be up to date on today's engine and BUS communication I suggest taking a Automotive class of some sort as well as a basic business class to help with managing money and running a business... Even if you have been in automotive 10yrs ago, things has totally changed as far as how we make all that horsepower and still meet emissions and alot of it is from the amount of actual control we have on the valves and timing.. Also I'm a Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep technician and I'm not sure on what brand of cars you plan on purchasing for your Taxi service but the Ford Crown Vic is the #1 Taxi cab vehicle in the USA.. But if your starting on a budget I would plan to get used vehicles or even HERE. Which is a police car auction, and you can get some good deals on used crown vic's.

On starting the Taxi business you will need to apply for a Business license from the State Of Michigan here:

Michigan Department of Transportation

Transport Permits Unit

P.O. Box 30648

Lansing, MI 48909

you will need to obtain a CDL (commercial driver license) to operate your vehicles and a Transport Business License to operate your business and register them with the Michigan Department of Transportation.

When the vehicle is used to carry packages (other than those belonging to passengers), contact the Public Service Commission, Motor Carrier Division;(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Chauffeur's license and commercial plates are required and should be obtained from the local Secretary of State's Office.

Contact the local city or county clerks office for information about a permit or application for this type of business.

For your automotive shop the class I spoke of earlier should help alot with this also. In order to open a automotive repair shop in the city of Livonia Michigan you will need to get a business license at the City Hall.

HERE is a list of city ordinances
Click HERE for a long list of MIOSHA codes. And you do need a ventalation system.
R 408.17224 Ventilation and air receivers.
Rule 7224. (1) Ventilation shall be provided and used to exhaust toxic vapors or fumes if such vapors or fumes exceed the maximum allowable limits prescribed by a department of public health rule.
(2) The blades of a fan less than 7 feet from a floor, platform or ground shall be guarded on all sides. Openings in a guard shall be not more than 1 inch and the distance shall be not less than the values in table 1.
(3) A fan shall not be located where fumes of flammable liquids can be induced into an area where sparks or flame may be present.
(4) An air receiver shall be equipped with an operable relief valve set at not more than the working load limit of the receiver.

You want to know what kind of heavy equipment you will need, well if it's just 4 walls then you will need lifts, air compressor, air hoses, lights, tables, toolboxes, complete set of tools as in screw drivers, torx set, extensions, hammers, air tools 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, 3/8 air ratchet, 1/4 air ratchet, air blowers, complete set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets. You will also need a air conditioning machine, evap smoke machine, battery charger, on the car brake lathe, drain buckets, drain pan, torch set, welder, vice, diagnostic scan tools, digital volt meter, test light..

I'm writing my 2nd part now.. Will post soon,
Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I don’t have time for school, but if there is a quick 30 day program that you know of that would be most helpful.

Tools: is there a link, manual or site explaining the use and definition of these needed tools?

lifts, air compressor, air hoses, lights, tables, toolboxes, complete set of tools as in screw drivers, torx set, extensions, hammers, air tools 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, 3/8 air ratchet, 1/4 air ratchet, air blowers, complete set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets. You will also need a air conditioning machine, evap smoke machine, battery charger, on the car brake lathe, drain buckets, drain pan, torch set, welder, vice, diagnostic scan tools, digital volt meter, test light..

Please send over the link that says a Transport business license will be needed.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I have been working on cars since I was 12 yrs old, and started working professinal at age 17. There is so much to learn if you want to know how to repair everything on a vehicle. You will need to start with the basic's and then advance from there. Click HERE for a good school. I don't see any 30 day classes.. The best learning experience is hands-on, what I mean is it will be a good idea to be an apprectice for 30 days at a automotive shop.. This way you get a feel for the tools and really how the shop operates, as in customer comes in, service writer writes a ticket, assigns ticket to tech, tech gets car, verifys the issues, and diagnosis it, prices parts, gets the approval for repair, and repairs vehicle, test drive verify proper operation, writes up ticket, service writer closes ticket and calls customer to inform them the vehicle is done... Ticket goes to office where the customer pays and gets keys.. I'm telling you that if you are not familiar with a automotive shop it is alot to learn..

Click HERE to view one source I used to get some info for you. Click HERE to view the license requirements. Usually if a person wants to start their own business in a certain field, that person has worked in that field in that period of time to understand the business. In your case you are planning on jumping right into it, and really and truely to be the very best businessman in this field you will need to get a feel for the industry by working in the field for a period of time.. And it may take more then 30 days to really understand the way it works as in the call comes in and you go and pick the person up, set up the mileage and toll counter, to the other way of driving around popular areas and getting flagged down by customers.. I'm still working on this to get some great videos that will help you..

HERE is another site on starting a Taxi business In MI. Can you tell me what town you plan on starting the Taxi business so that I can see what the city requirement are?

I'm gathering some info so reply back when you can so I can add that with me next reply!

Thanks,
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found this site as well, you are a great researcher. The town will either be Northville, or Livonia, Michigan.

Thanks!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the complement!!! If you plan on starting the taxi business in Northville, then HERE are the code of ordinances for the city.

Sec. 94-51. - Taxicabs.permanent link to this piece of content

No taxicabs shall be permitted to operate on the streets of the city without first being licensed by the city clerk. Application for such license shall be made on forms provided by the city clerk. All information required by such form shall be complete and accurate and made under the oath of the applicant. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.

(Code 1980, § 5-302)

Sec. 94-52. - Insurance required.permanent link to this piece of content

Every application for a license to operate a taxicab must be accompanied by a policy or certificate of insurance. Such insurance shall be issued by a company authorized to do business in the state. Insurance is required in the amounts as set from time to time by resolution of the city council. The policy or certificate shall contain a clause requiring the insuring company to give ten days' written notice to the city manager, prior to cancelling the policy.

Sec. 94-53. - Drivers.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall be permitted to drive a taxicab in the city without first obtaining a license from the city clerk. Application for the license shall be made on forms provided by the city clerk's office. All information required by such form shall be complete and accurate and made under the oath of the applicant. Each applicant shall submit, together with the completed form, two pictures of himself suitable for attaching to the license card. All applicants for taxicab drivers' licenses shall be 18 years of age or older.

(Code 1980, § 5-304)

Sec. 94-54. - Approval or rejection.permanent link to this piece of content

The city clerk shall submit all license applications for taxicab and taxicab drivers to the police department for approval or rejection. Such approval or rejection shall be made within a reasonable period of time, with any rejection accompanied by the police department's reasons therefor.

(Code 1980, § 5-305)

Sec. 94-55. - Term.permanent link to this piece of content

All licenses issued under the provisions of this article shall expire on December 31 of the year for which issued.

(Code 1980, § 5-306)

Sec. 94-56. - Fees.permanent link to this piece of content

At the time the license is issued, the city clerk shall collect a fee for each taxicab license and for each taxicab driver's license as set by resolution of the city council from time to time; provided, however, that such fee shall be prorated on a monthly basis during the year for which the license is issued.

(Code 1980, § 5-307)

Sec. 94-57. - Suspension or revocation—For cause.permanent link to this piece of content

The city council may, upon its own motion or upon the recommendation of the city manager or chief of police, suspend or revoke any taxicab or taxicab driver's license for failing to comply with the rules and regulations set forth by the police department pertaining to driver conduct and motor vehicle standards, or for failure to provide satisfactory service, or loss of insurance required by this article, or other causes deemed sufficient by the city council.

(Code 1980, § 5-309)

Sec. 94-58. - Same—Notice and hearing.permanent link to this piece of content

No license shall be suspended for more than two weeks, except after notice to the licensee and a hearing at which the licensee shall have an opportunity to be present and present his case or defense. At such hearing the city council may set aside the suspension or continue the suspension in force for any length of time, or the council may revoke the license.

(Code 1980, § 5-310)

Secs. 94-59—94-75. - Reserved.permanent link to this piece of content

Sec. 94-31. - Authorization to operate.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall operate or permit to be operated one or more taxicabs within the city, without first obtaining a resolution of public need from the city council authorizing this type of activity. Such authorization is nontransferable.

(Code 1980, § 5-301)

Sec. 94-32. - Rates.permanent link to this piece of content

The rates to be charged for taxicab service are to be metered, based on a schedule of rates established by resolution of the city council.

(Code 1980, § 5-308)

Secs. 94-33—94-50. - Reserved.permanent link to this piece of content

And for Livonia, here is the list HERE

It doesn't have a Taxi folder so you will need to contact City Hall to get the regulations as they aren't listed online.

Let me know after you read this, and tell know what I missed..

Thanks,

Brad

Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience: ASE Master/Advanced Specialist, Chrysler Triple Master
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are amazing! Your research skills are to be admired!

You have not missed one thing…

Not only have you set me up to move forward you have given me the information that I was in need of.

My daily obligations are such that there is not enough time in the day for me to take care of certain things, not to mention the lack of experience in certain areas, so I am in need of a consultant from time to time.

I must say I have used this service a few times now, and you are the first to have given me such excellent service!

Thank you very much for all of your help!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was prepared to give you $500.00 but it looks like the system only maxes out at $200.

Well, I will look for you again!

Thanks again!!!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I don't know where to start by thanking you for coming to JustAnswer. And thank you very very much for that bonus. I really feel like I owe you much more info. Are you sure you are all set, as I will research anything else if you can think of it. Again I want to thank you for the "Excellent" Rating and Bonus. If you ever have the need in the future don't hesistate to request me by saying "For Brad" in the headder and I will quickly come to assist you.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Brad, you have been great to work with!

Well other than the question/need of obtaining a manual, or site explaining the definition, use and need for each tool for auto shops and auto body repair shops, I would say that you have answered all of my questions.

Thank you very much for your help and for not rushing the process.

;-)

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Let me see what I can find for you on the tools.. It may take some time, so that you for your patience.

Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not really the tools the mechanics will bring in their own tools.

It is mostly the heavy equipment and heavy tools that I am most curious about.

ok

Thanks!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
(Sorry I don't know your name)

But I need to ask about the heavy equipment.. Do you mean the a/c machine, and brake lathe, etc?

Thanks,
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and other heavy equipment such as the vehicle lifts, and bit cleaners, sand blasters etc.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for the reply!! That gives me something to go on.. I will start researching now.

Have a greatday!
Brad
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have been at it.. Here are a few videos about the equipment. Enjoy,

Click HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE

And here are more. Click HERE HERE HERE .

Here are some scantools: HERE HERE

Wiring HERE

Like I said there is so much to learn there is no way to cram it all in 30 days. WHen you open the shop and get technicians with their tools you will be able to watch them and learn alot. I would make sure they are ASE Certified. It will take some time but if you are serious about opening the Taxi service and the Automotive Shop you will learn alot from the technicians and Taxi drivers if they are experienced, and will help you learn the business.. Well I want to wish you all the luck in the world and the next time you have a question, don't hesistate to ask for me.

Have a great night!
Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello brad I just got this.

What any recommendations on a good in house shop battery Charger? also if we buy 4 lifts what do you think the lifts and all of the heavy equipment would cost us?

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Click HERE for a great battery charger that we use at out dealership.. And for 4 lifts brand new HERE

You will be looking at around 12,000 for the lifts.. Not sure if you are going with brand new equipment, but here is a list of the tools you will need:

Basic mechanic's Tools.

Hand tools, such as circlip pliers, bearing pullers, ring and open end spanners, depending on what you work on this will vary, but need to be in complete sets. A full range of inside and outside circlip pliers is essential.

Hand held mechanics lamps, air guns and lines, rolling oil pans, Cooling fluid pans etc. One set for each hoist.

Other special tools for different makes and models where required, a minimum of two good quality vices. There are many more items, so I will provide a list.

Simple pipe bender.

This type of pipe bender is handy when small fabrication jobs are called for, like making a special exhaust joiner.

Pedestal drill

A pedestal drill like this one is very useful in a workshop.

Air tools

Buy quality air tools with double attachment for "ears" silencing and recycling.

Brake lathe

New Ammco 4000

Tyre changer with assist.

This type of unit will work on all run-flat and large wheels with ease and speed.

Wheel balancer.

Needs to take up to 22' wheels, and have facilities for all types of weights.

Ammco brake lathe

These Ammco brake lathes run forever. This one is 40 years old!

Cooling system tester

Note this kit has a complete set of adapters to suit different radiators.

Profit centres.

GENERAL WORKSHOP MACHINERY.

Tyre changer

Tire changer accessories

Tire pressure gauge

Air Pressure Regulator

Tire lever

Tire lever protector

Wheel balancer

Wheel balancer accessories

Wheel weight pliers

Brake lathe off car

Brake lathe on car

Brake lathe accessories

Wheel aligners

Wheel ramps

Engine analyser.

5 gas suitcase type if I had to choose. (I have another hub on these.)

Hoists

1X 2 post symmetric hoist 4 ton capacity (SUV's, light trucks and vans)

1X 2 post asymmetric 4 ton capacity

1X 4 post standard hoist preferably with one jacking beam, or.....

1X 4 post alignment hoist with turntable inserts, cover plates, long approach ramp and 2X jacking beams if you want to include wheel alignment in your workshop.

belly lift quick, small, portable, fast where you want all four wheels of the ground in a hurry to change wheels, brakes, wheel bearings etc.

motorcycle lift if you do motorcycle engine rebuilds you need one of these.

SPECIALITY WORKSHOP MACHINERY

Flywheel grinder

dynamometer

Metal lathe

Injector cleaner

GENERAL WORKSHOP EQUIPMENT

Hose reel, Bench grinder, Compressor, Grease kit, Oil drainage pump, Oil extractor, Jacks

(Bottle, Vehicle positioning, Axle, Trolley, Racing, Long stroke, Transmission jack

Press, wheel stands, Axle Stands, Ratchet, sockets, Under hoist drainers, Parts washer

Pedestal drill, Pressure washer, Engine crane, Engine Trolley, Engine stand, Vacuum cleaner

Welding equipment, Wheel dolly, Work trolley, Work benches, mechanics work seat, angle grinder, Creeper, Oil drainer, Vice, Safety Light, Radiator drainer,Filter crusher.

Other handy machinery and tools..

Oscilloscope,Air tools, Impact wrench, Ratchet wrench, air cutter, hand drill, tool box

Porta power, Car dolly, Oil/water separator

SPECIALITY EQUIPMENT

Body repair kit

Pipe bender

Pulling ram kit

Body straightening kit

Injector cleaner

Sand blasting cabinet

Spring compressor

Brake drum handler

Hydraulic gear puller

Hub tamer

Tyre spreader

Cooling system pressure tester

Fuel injection test kit

Pressure brake bleeder

Brake fluid tester

LVT

LPG

GENERAL HAND TOOLS

Measuring tools - callipers

- micrometer

- Dial gauge

- tachometer

tap & die set

SPECIALITY HAND TOOLS

ELECTRONIC TEST EQUIPMENT

Battery

Jump starter/ Tester/ Charger

Multi-meter

Test light

Armature growler

AIR CONDITIONING

Leak detector

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

Goggles

Ear protection

First aid kit

Fire extinguisher

Spill kit

Signage

Oscillating fan

Exhaust extraction reel

Servicing and installations.

Hoist maintenance/ Electrician/ Installation

Lighting design

Electrical equipment testing & tagging

Machinery repair and maintenance.

4-5 gas analyser.

This is a modern portable 5 gas analyzer.

Other equipment.

To work on modern cars, you need a good scanner and a 5 gas analyser, along with many wiring harnesses interface cables for the different makes and models connections to the scanner.

None of this equipment is cheap, because quality is paramount . I have sold, repaired and serviced both cheap and well designed and built ones. The cheapies will save you a grand or so, but you will regret buying either a scanner or 5 gas analyser cheap!

There is an equipment list added to this if you are doing petroleum/gas conversions, but it is not usually extensive or expensive.

Brake measuring calliper

Headlight aimer.

I have found these Armstrong aimers to be good quality and reasonably priced.

Stand press.

This is a standard workshop press, high enough to push a bearing off an axle.

Brake drum calliper

For roadworthy check.

More equipment.

If you intend to get a licence to test cars for road-worthiness. (This licence has different names in some countries) You will also need quite a bit more equipment.

Headlight aimer.

Large vernier calypers.

Compression tester.

Gas analyser.

The list varies from state to state. country to country.

Profit centres.

A workshop that can do everything in-house will attract more customers, and if you cannot do a job because you do not have the necessary equipment or machinery, you need to outsource it.

Never send your customer away, ALWAYS have a solution by using other specialists to do the work for you, then check it thoroughly when it is finished and then add value.

Here are some ways to make your workshop more profitable.

• Buy a high quality brake lathe and learn how to use it. Your equipment supplier should be able to train you or your mechanic in using the equipment they sell.

Good disc machining is a matter of tooling up carefully and finishing the surfacing with a fine skim after the cut if needed.

• Air-conditioning repairs.

Buy a multi unit that does the whole job.

• Tyre changing, wheel balancing.

Combine with tire sales, or outsource tires. Buy a machine that will do new cars with large wheels.

• Wheel alignment.

Equipment is expensive to buy, you need an alignment machine and an alignment hoist like the 4 post listed above. The profit on wheel alignment is not great generally, but it does attract other sales very well.

• LPG conversions.

If you have all the equipment needed such as a 5 gas analyser and a gas fitters licence there is good money in conversions. Take your time with the re-tuning and calibration.

To learn how I ran my workshops profitably read the next hub How to start an auto repair shop-workshop business 2

A good used Ammco 4000 will cut discs and drum brakes for many years without trouble.

Air conditioner recharge.

This unit does the whole job automatically and even cleans, separates the oil from the refrigerant then stores it for future use.
If you are going to use all of this an estimate is 100,000. Now you may not need all of this but it's list of what most shops have..

Need anything else, feel free to ask
Brad

Brad, Dealer Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're the best!!!

Thanks many many times over Brad!

Wink

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!!!

Best of luck to you with you business!!

Brad