ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8+ years experience, ASE Certified
30956819

I have a 1995 ford econoline van. Will a 7.0 15 LT tire fit

Customer Question

I have a 1995 ford econoline van. Will a 7.0 15 LT tire fit on this vehicle. The present
tires on the van are: 23.5/75 R15 grabber general?
Category: Car
Expert:  greasemonkey2386 replied 3 years ago.

greasemonkey2386 :

hello, what is the full size of the tire in question?

greasemonkey2386 :

you said the tires on it are 23.5/75/15, i will need the third number for your question tire as well

Customer :

the only number on the tire I have are : 23.5/75 R15 and 105.T and the brand is grabber general.

Customer :

The tires I want to put on are 7.0 15 LT

greasemonkey2386 :

there has to be another number besides 7.0 15 though, thats the number i need

Customer :

okay I will keep digging.I will get back to you.

greasemonkey2386 :

ok

Customer :

Sorry have not been able to find that third number yet. Cold and snowing here and tires are outside. Get back with you shortly though.

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 3 years ago.

Your current 235/75r15's are just slightly smaller than a 7.00x15LT. The new tires in question SHOULD fit... The 7.00x15 is narrower than a 235 by quite a bit... an inch and a half to 2 inches, depending on the size rim they are mounted on. The 7.00x15 will be about 0.5 inches to 1 inch taller than the current 235's though.

simple answer, the new tires are narrower, but slightly taller than the current tires.

While they will most likely fit, I would not recommend them. Any tire in that size designation, are usually intended for trailer, commercial, or heavy duty applications. They will NOT ride very well, read:very tough, rough, and choppy. Certainly not something I would recommend if you drive the van regularly or long trips.

If you're concerned about strength, stick with a 235/75/15LT tire (not a regular 235/75R15... look for the LT at the end). They will still by a much heavier duty tire than what you currently have, but ride much better than the 7.00x15.

I wish you luck in your search, but if I can be of further assistance, please let me know. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.