Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara, 2.0 ltr engine, manual transmission.

I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara, 2.0 ltr engine, manual transmission. It has been an absolutely trouble free car for all of these years...until yesterday.
I was out driving around town, made a few stops, and restarts, with no sign(s) of any problems. After the next to last stop, I restarted the car, drove about 1/4 of a mile around the corner into another parking lot when the engine just quit noises, all gauges correct, has oil, gas, fluid(s), full electrical system operation (including cranking) but WILL NOT FIRE. Checked the system out today and again, everything checks out but wouldn't start. ALL fuses checked out, the battery is fully charged and there is full output from the alternator but THERE IS NO SPARK FROM ANY OF THE SPARK PLUGS. After checking everything that I can think of I've about made up my mind that the problem MIGHT be with the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR but I have no idea how to tell if that's the problem, or not.
Your assistance would be much appreciated
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Are you saying that after the engine has stalled out it cranks over but does not start?

No spark? Does it have fuel?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes...It cranks over, but does not fire. Fuel is 1/2 tank. No Codes. Check Engine light DOES COME ON.

Ok.. does the engine have compression? What about fuel pressure and injector pulse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not checked compression but when cranking it sounds normal for the little 4 cylinder that it is. Fuel pressure is right on and fuel pump operates as normal when the key is turned on. AGAIN...NO SPARK FROM PLUGS when they are removed and checked while cranking the engine.

Your first step is going to be to check the TPS for 5 volts going to it with the key on. This will ensure that the computer is awake.

Next step is to check to see if the ignition coils have power with the key on and cranking. They all get power on the black/white wire.

If all of this checks out ok and the valve timing is correct, I would suspect a bad camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. More so a bad crankshaft position sensor.

Thanks for the positive rating!

One other thing I wanted to mention is it could be a bad ECM. However, this would be the last resort. Go after the cam and crank sensors first.

I hope this helps!