transman
transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
14457476

The engine in my 2009 PT Cruiser stopped while I was going

The engine in my 2009 PT Cruiser stopped while I was going 65mph. All dash lights lit up and needles in dials were spinning. I pulled off the road and turned the engine off for 10-15 seconds. It started right up and I had no more problems on the way home. Less than 20,000 miles and maintained regularly. No previous problems. Dealer said battery needed replacing (done), but that this didn't cause problem - they couldn't find reason. What's going on? Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 1 year ago.
H, welcome to j/a i will try my best to help you with this problem, was there an engine light present when this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - it was dark and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. No strange noise either.
Expert:  transman replied 1 year ago.
ok, then this is a posible cranck sensoror a cam sensor , i have seen this happen at highway speeds the engine will actually stall and restart itself because the cranck or cam sensor shorts out for a second and the computer looses the sygnal and does not know what cilynder to fire at the moment ,this sensor usually goes in to a ground fault and it pulls the 5 volts reference from the computer to ground making the gages flip and the computer to reset thats why there are no codes on memory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much, transman. Love this car, and this is the first sense I'm getting that problem is fixable. Appreciate your being there to help out!
Expert:  transman replied 1 year ago.
no problem and enjoy your car i love this car so much i have two one for my son and the other one my wife i have not had any problems with it with the excemption of the cam sensor , the same as yours but other then that no problems at all. thank you and have a good night.
transman, automotive instructor
Experience: 28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair