Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

isuzu Ascender LS: i have a 2003 isuzu ascender problems with

i have a 2003 isuzu ascender problems with shifting changed 1&2 shift solenoids, &3&4 shift solenoids, 1&2 work ok, but will not shift to 3rd &4th gears. Also the instrument cluster isnt working

Hello, thank you for using Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your Isuzu question.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

When driving, does the transmission stay in second gear, or does it attempt to shift to 3rd and slip or go to neutral?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it does attempt to shift to 3rd gear

So it attempts to shift to 3rd gear and slips, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT doesnt really slip it just never engages and the engine raises up real high

This is due to a failed 3-4 clutch within the transmission. Since the 2nd gear disengages, the shift solenoids are working properly. Failure of the 3-4 clutch is somewhat common in this transmission. The transission does have to be removed and disassembled to repair the seals for the 3-4 clutch apply piston.