Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Isuzu Pick-up: 94 Isuzu Pick-up 2.3L carb. engine w/ SOHC.

'94 Isuzu Pick-up 2.3L carb. engine w/ SOHC. Just had a valve job and I'm trying to set the timing belt and camshaft w/ the #1 cyl. @ TDC. Problem is that the mark on the camshaft which should be at the top on the compression stroke (both valves closed) always ends up at the bottom with the #4 cyl. at the top.

Also, the camshaft mark doesn't quite line up with the notch on the backplate when the crankshaft is at TDC. It's off by about half a tooth, if it matters. This is the first time I've gone this deep into an engine, but I replaced the timing belt last summer with no problem.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

You need to remove the timing belt tension on the tensioner, then remove the timing belt. From there you must line up the timing marks on both the timing belt crankshaft sprocket and then the marks on the camshaft to the mark on the backing plate. Then install the timing belt.

I like to leave the camshaft mark just slightly to the left of the timing mark on the backing plate. That way when you install the timing belt and then put tension on the timing belt tensioner, it will pull the timing belt and camshaft sprocket tight and turn the camshaft pulley to the right thus lining up everything.