Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

wolkswagen passat: how do i set the timing of a 2001 passat

Customer Question

how do i set the timing of a 2001 passat 1.8l
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Eurocar Inc. :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

Eurocar Inc. :

is the belt off already or have not started

Customer:

its off already

Customer:

the car will not start

Eurocar Inc. :

doing the belt or the chain under the valve cover?

Eurocar Inc. :

duh i cannot read

Eurocar Inc. :

let me get a pic

Customer:

its belt not chain

Eurocar Inc. :

ok to make sure there is a chain that times the cams also fyi

Customer:

ok

Customer:

never knew that

Eurocar Inc. :

Full Size Image

Eurocar Inc. :

the above is the cam sprocket and the lower is the balancer pulley there is a XXXXX XXXXXne and line up to the indent of the timing cover

Eurocar Inc. :

if the belt broke while driving you have a very very good chance that the valves are bent

Eurocar Inc. :

it is an interference motor

Eurocar Inc. :

anything else?

Customer:

thanks so much

Customer:

i am ok

Customer:

the belt did not cut

Customer:

but the car will not start

Eurocar Inc. :

does it sound like it has compression ?

Customer:

no

Customer:

it doesn't

Customer:

it keeps cranking and turning over but will not start

Eurocar Inc. :

have you pulled the spark plugs and checked if they are wet and see if pressure comes out of the spark plug hole?

Eurocar Inc. :

while cranking of course

Customer:

i checked the plugs

Customer:

the plugs are good

Customer:

the fuel pump is good too

Eurocar Inc. :

i would get the plugs out and have someone else crank the engine and using your hand try to feel if there is pressure

Customer:

there is current to the plugs

Customer:

i understand earlier that the vehicle was driving untill the engine oil finished

Eurocar Inc. :

finished?

Eurocar Inc. :

explain

Customer:

what if there is no pressure?

Eurocar Inc. :

then dissasembly is needed to see why! may have jumped time

Customer:

ok

Customer:

could the finished oil be responsible for it to jump time?

Eurocar Inc. :

maybe ? it is hard to tell with out myself being there to check it out. possible

Customer:

my friend said when the oil finished he stopped and put oil, then he stated driving home, on his way he started hearing knocking sound

Eurocar Inc. :

that is not a good sign at all!!

Customer:

when he drove 3miles the car stopped

Customer:

and wouldn't start from then on

Eurocar Inc. :

very good chance you might be looking in an engine replacement!!

Eurocar Inc. :

not the news you want to hear !

Customer:

but only the metals where affected

Customer:

but since the engine is not hooked it should at least start

Customer:

or what do u think?

Eurocar Inc. :

the upper chain on the cams have an adjuster that is oil pressure fed and if there is a loss of oil pressure the timing cannot keep correct time and if driven enough the cams siezes due to the aluminum has no oil and then the engine is no good

Eurocar Inc. :

by driving 3 miles when knocking is very bad situation and damage to the engine has been comprimised

Customer:

okay thanks so much for your help

Customer:

i really learnt from you

Customer:

hope to meet with you agin

Customer:

again

Eurocar Inc. :

sure anytime

Eurocar Inc. :

please do me a favor please leave positive feedback for the assistance given

Eurocar Inc. :

thanks

Customer:

i sure will

Eurocar Inc. :

have a safe evening

Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more help