Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

suzuki esteem: 1999 suzuki esteem passenger door wont open

1999 suzuki esteem passenger door wont open from inside or out. pull up lock won't come up, but it comes up a little when using key to try to unlock door, tried to use key and pull up at same time but doesn't release

When turning the key in the lock cylinder, does it turn fine in both directions but not move the lock?

Does the key work the driver door properly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The key turns in both directions in passenger door lock as far as it does in the driver door lock, and yes the key unlocks the driver door just fine.

There is no resistance I can feel when pulling on the inside or outside door open levers.

I suspect the linkage is jammed or bent or a clip has broken causing linkage to be disconnected. But of course I need to get the door open in order to remove the inner door panel to see what is wrong.

At this point you don't have much to lose. I would grab the actual door lock with a pair of pliers and try to work it up and down. This will allow you much more leverage and if it is a rust problem inside the door it should allow you to move the lock.

If this doesn't work, you can try rolling down the window and using a flashlight to look down inside the door. You may be able to see the lock cylinder and move the lock through the window opening.

If that doesn't work, you can remove all the fasteners that hold the panel to the door except for the 2 coming in through the side. It may be possible to open the rear door to see them and remove them. Also with the rear door open you may be able to unbolt the striker from the body to open the door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a picture or drawing of the mechanism?

The best picture I could find is for a 1997. Your latch should look similar. The rod sticking out would go to the door lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mine aren't electric, but this could help. Do you know if this is a drivers side or passenger side latch? Also, would the interior latch release be located on the opposite side of the picture?

That is a passenger side front latch.
I believe the interior release handle attaches to the other side and the outside door handle attaches to the clip near the one cut connector.