Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

1999: my landrover heater fan is working but sometimes the

my landrover heater fan is working but sometimes the heat just shuts down and wont heat and sometimes it works, it happens more so when idleing. Just cold air will blow out.
Hi,how are you?Is the check engine light coming on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no check engine light on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Ok,the reason for this is likely the coolant is not flowing through the heater core due to a restriction,this is why the issue happens more at idle or lower rpm's.The first step is to flush and fill the coolant system this will likely cure the issue if it does not the heater core would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is that costly the heater core, so i should just ask the shop to look for restricted line in heater core, get a flush/\?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so ask for flush of coolant system then if doesnt work how much does a heater core possible cost me? and does that mean the air conditioner will not work also?

I would have the shop flush the entire coolant system and this will include the heater core.The heater core job will be $400-$500 because of the labor involved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can they tell at the shop if it is restricted or heater core problem, also if i just keep running it the way it is tell i can afford the work will it damage the car worse.

No this will not damage anything to run the vehicle this way just keep a watch on the temp gage,yes the shop will be able to tell if the heater core is the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

before i let you go anything else i should tell them that you would be concerned about?

No once they check for blockage in the coolant system that would be all they need to check.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you have a great day!