Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

plymouth grand voyager: 1994 plymouth voyager 3.3 w/a604 tranny

1994 plymouth voyager 3.3 w/a604 tranny when you drive car at speed for about 30 to 45 minutes and let off accelerator car downshifts to what i believe is second gear at 45 mph tach is up around 4000 or 5000 rpm if you turn off engine and restart problem goes away but will return in about the same amount of time dont know if it will do same thing driving city streets at speeds under 40 mph
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.

Canuck Tech :

Ran into a similar issue and it was the solenoid pack, not the transmission control module

Canuck Tech :

Also, there is a transmission data parameter called CVI - clutch volume index. If the transmission is indeed failing, usually the CVI numbers are out of specification. Find a different transmission shop that has a clue.

Canuck Tech :

The CVI numbers are retrieved with a scan tool

Canuck Tech :

A speed sensor issue may also cause the symptoms you have described

Canuck Tech :

These transmissions are no longer like rocket science. Find a shop that can do some effective diagnosis for you before you throw any more parts at the van

Canuck Tech :

If this information has been useful, please leave some feedback at the closing of the deal. Best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

my mistake it was the solenoid pack they replaced

Canuck Tech :

Ok well this changes the game a bit, and it might need a transmission. The CVI numbers will hold some clues. The transmission is going into a default mode. So, this could be because of slipping clutches or speed sensor issues. The tech can look at the speed sensors with the scan tool as well. The transmission control module looks at the input and output speeds. If one of those sensors reads 0 then the default mode will happen

Customer:

one more question seems to me it only acts up after it heats up could a speed sensor only act up part of the time and are you talking about one of the scan tools you can get at auto parts store for about 60 bucks or is it something only a transmission shop would have

Canuck Tech :

hi there - I'm back

Customer:

Canuck Tech :

Most of the scan tools you get at the parts store will only let you into the engine controller, not the transmission controller. Speed sensors can be intermittant for sure. A good general shop shouls be able to help if you think the transmission shop is trying to rip you off.

Canuck Tech :

The transmission shop should be able to give you specs for the CVI numbers, and then show you the cvi numbers stored in the transmission controller

Customer:

ok i'll give that a try thanks for the input really not what i wanted to hear lol but we dont allways get what we want thanks again

Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience