transman
transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair
14457476

plymouth grand voyager: I have a 1996 plymouth grand voyager

I have a 1996 plymouth grand voyager with 220,000 miles it still runs great, I recently had cam and crank sensors replaced, but the dealer told me that they don't make the pigtails anymore, I found a mechanic that secured them good, but at times the vehicle will cut off and also sometimes hesitates, but starts right back up, I took it back to the dealer they said there is a intermitent loss of signal between the crank sensor and the wiring harness, and that I need to replace the wiring harness, and the cost would be around $1500.00, does this sound resonable and where could I get the harness myself.

transman :

Hi,the problem is with the cam sensor wirings they brake do to their location under the intake this harness is part of the engine short harness and can be located at a junk yard easily the dealer is over price to hi, this harness at a junk yard should be no more then 100$

transman :

you can have this harness replace by a regulatr repair shop this should be 3 hours labor according to the chiltton labor operation

transman :

this short harnes together with labor will cust you no more then 350$ outside of the dealer.

Customer:

They said it was between the crank sensor and the harness.

transman :

yes the wire runs from the camshaft sensor to the cranck sensor they are connected i series to the same circuit

transman :

the problem is with the cam sensor wiring and it affects the cranck sensor

Customer:

I've called some junkyards but no luck so far, and exactly what part do I ask for?

transman :

the engine short harness it consist of the top engine harness complete.

Customer:

Where could I buy a new one and what do you think the cost would be?

transman :

a new one will run you for 425$ at the dealer other then the one you went to

transman :

you can go to any chrysler or dodge dealer and get this harness at the right price. it may have to be order .

Customer:

Besides the dealer where can I buy a new one?

transman :

no other place will have it new only used from another vehicle sorry.

transman :

you can try online there are some companies that will reconstruct the same wiring for you but is verry expensive.

Customer:

Do you think that will solve the cutting off and rpm surges etc.?

transman :

yes the cam sensor controls injection and the cranck sensor controls spark they need to sinchronize together if they dont then you wwill experiance surging,missfires,stalls hesitation and no power at times.

transman :

try this web site they should have the harness you need.

Full Size Image

transman :

American Autowire offers factory original GM OEM restoration automotive wiring harnesses and accessories through our Factory Fit® product line. All Factory Fit® reproduction wiring harnesses are made exactly to GM OEM factory standards, using GM parts. Wiring harnesses and accessories are installed as a direct replacement to the original factory wiring - no guesswork. We call it a "plug and play" experience. When you use American Autowire's OEM products, you can be sure you will get a perfect fit - a Factory Fit®!

Customer:

Ok transman thank you for your info.