Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Suzuki 2 Door hardtop vitara 1.6l: whta do i need to do to

whta do i need to do to remove as much emmision bullshit that i can from my 1990 vitara 1.6 carby?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX XX happy to help you with your Suzuki Vitara...

Can you tell me exactly what the problem is - ie, does it have emission faults ?

What mileage does it have if so - and what is its service history like?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has about 250 thousand on the clock , am just looking to remove the emission gear and clean up the mess under the bonnet . all the vacume gear is shorely not nessecary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gday mike,

how are you going with my question?

any deails can be emaied to my addresss.

cheers toby

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Toby -

Thank you for your reply / info -

I just replied Toby - our posts crossed ( in the post!)

My answer / reply was / is below :

I understand what you are saying - but If you remove the "emission gear" - and vacuum piping etc - not only will you have a permanent engine management fault light on the dash - you will have running / driveability / engine management / fuel consumption issues...

Plus - it would never pass an emissions test on the exhaust emissions part of the yearly test -

So Im afraid you cannot remove all that without the complications as described / outlined above Im sorry to say ..

There is a lot on these - pipe work etc.. but you cannot remove them Im afraid..

Let me know if I can help anymore at all -

All the very best - MIKE.

......................... Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent ratings for me now at this point - Thank You in advance for you...

You can always get back to me anytime should you need further , clicking the OK ratings does not close you out -

Rgds - MIKE.
Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am not submitted to emmision testing where i am. so is not a problem.

years ago i used to remove emmision parts to improve performance and ease , of being able to work on just a basic carby. there must be some gear that can be removed.

I am prepared to accept a bit more fuel use for a bit more response.

I believe that these carby have a vacum secondary, am i able to hard wire this so that i can get some better response?

also , Can i remove the choke butterfly altogether?

i realise that this will give me a few starting problems in cold weather but this is not an issue.

Can you start to see where i am comeing from.

Cheers Toby

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Toby -

Thank you for your reply..

I see what you are saying - You can then remove what you wish..inc the choke butterfly - it really would be a trial and error thing Toby - but it sounds like you have dealt with such things before... ;)

I dont really have much info on the old carby ones I dont know if you have a manual on it or suchlike - but that would tell you flow directions on the emissions side etc - Its a long time since I worked on the carb model !

It may be an idea to try and source and fit a different carb for it Toby - if getting more power/ more torque is what you are after... I dont know if you would be thinking about that -

On the other hand - a rebuild / a proper pro rebuild of the carb would get what you are after - I did a quick search for and found this HERE that may be of interest to you..

Of course you can do lots to the engine but the carb would be a start -

Let me know what you think / or if I can help you anymore at all....

Best Rgds - MIKE..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

G'day Mike,

We chatted a while back about my vitara carby.

I have since had a play, and have come to realise that you can remove most of the emmision crap on the standard carbies without any grief.

I now have improved performance and better fuel economy.

All is good , it starts really well and drives great.

Cheers Toby