Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Suzuki 2 Door hardtop vitara 1.6l: whta do i need to do to

whta do i need to do to remove as much emmision bullshit that i can from my 1990 vitara 1.6 carby?
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with your Suzuki Vitara...

Can you tell me exactly what the problem is - ie, does it have emission faults ?

What mileage does it have if so - and what is its service history like?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it has about 250 thousand on the clock , am just looking to remove the emission gear and clean up the mess under the bonnet . all the vacume gear is shorely not nessecary.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

gday mike,

how are you going with my question?

any deails can be emaied to my addresss.

cheers toby

Hi again Toby -

Thank you for your reply / info -

I just replied Toby - our posts crossed ( in the post!)

My answer / reply was / is below :

I understand what you are saying - but If you remove the "emission gear" - and vacuum piping etc - not only will you have a permanent engine management fault light on the dash - you will have running / driveability / engine management / fuel consumption issues...

Plus - it would never pass an emissions test on the exhaust emissions part of the yearly test -

So Im afraid you cannot remove all that without the complications as described / outlined above Im sorry to say ..

There is a lot on these - pipe work etc.. but you cannot remove them Im afraid..

Let me know if I can help anymore at all -

All the very best - MIKE.

......................... Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent ratings for me now at this point - Thank You in advance for you...

You can always get back to me anytime should you need further , clicking the OK ratings does not close you out -

Rgds - MIKE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not submitted to emmision testing where i am. so is not a problem.

years ago i used to remove emmision parts to improve performance and ease , of being able to work on just a basic carby. there must be some gear that can be removed.

I am prepared to accept a bit more fuel use for a bit more response.

I believe that these carby have a vacum secondary, am i able to hard wire this so that i can get some better response?

also , Can i remove the choke butterfly altogether?

i realise that this will give me a few starting problems in cold weather but this is not an issue.

Can you start to see where i am comeing from.

Cheers Toby

Hi again Toby -

Thank you for your reply..

I see what you are saying - You can then remove what you wish..inc the choke butterfly - it really would be a trial and error thing Toby - but it sounds like you have dealt with such things before... ;)

I dont really have much info on the old carby ones I dont know if you have a manual on it or suchlike - but that would tell you flow directions on the emissions side etc - Its a long time since I worked on the carb model !

It may be an idea to try and source and fit a different carb for it Toby - if getting more power/ more torque is what you are after... I dont know if you would be thinking about that -

On the other hand - a rebuild / a proper pro rebuild of the carb would get what you are after - I did a quick search for and found this HERE that may be of interest to you..

Of course you can do lots to the engine but the carb would be a start -

Let me know what you think / or if I can help you anymore at all....

Best Rgds - MIKE..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

G'day Mike,

We chatted a while back about my vitara carby.

I have since had a play, and have come to realise that you can remove most of the emmision crap on the standard carbies without any grief.

I now have improved performance and better fuel economy.

All is good , it starts really well and drives great.

Cheers Toby