Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I had the check engine lite tested, it indicated code po420

Customer Question

I had the check engine lite tested, it indicated code po420 catalyst system. below theshold-bank 1 , I drove the car awhile, now smoke is coming out the exhurst, did I hurt my car? Its a suzuki forenza 2007. Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is Amedee and I can assist you with your question.

What color smoke is coming out of the exhaust system? Black, blue or white?

How does the engine run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was white smoke and it ran good though

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
White smoke is usually coolant. You might want to check the coolant level to be sure it is full. If not, then you are going to need to check the head gasket for leaks. This can be done a few different ways. They make testers to check for a blown head gasket that you can get at your local auto parts store for cheap. You can also check for hydro carbons in the cooling system using an emissions sniffer. These are the best ways to check for a blown head gasket.

If that checks out ok, then you will have to go after the converter efficiency code. It is possible that you just have a plugged or bad converter.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

It Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Let me know!