Suzuki xl-7: About a year ago I asked for help to replace the

Customer Question

About a year ago I asked for help to replace the timing chain in a 07 Suzuki xl7. The info that i received wasn't detailed enough to do the job. A year later I have replaced the chains and guides. Now the problem. The car starts and sounds fine but when you step on the accelorator nothing happens. The screen on the dash says "engine power reduced" and "service traction control". I tried to use a code reader but it could not connect. someone said that can be caused by some sort of electical issue. Is this just too complex for me? Should I just give up and take it to the dealer?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Tim, does the check engine light come on for 2 seconds when the key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the check engine light stays on with the engine running. Dash says "service tract control" and "service stability control". Didn't say that before I started the initial repair.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
if the check engine light comes on, then all the powers and grounds to the computer sre good, what type of code reader are you using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was my neighbor's reader. I will try and find out the answer and get back to you. Don

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
let me know, it may not be compatible with your vehicle,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to reply, busy week. The code reader is a memoscan u381 . It says OBOII&EOBOII on the front.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
that is just a code reader for engine codes, you will need a scanner that can retrieve the ABS codes,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I am trying to save $ doing this myself. Do I have to spend alot on scanner to get one that will do the job. I looked on Amazon and there is a big price range on Scanners. $50 for a compact scanner that plugs into your home computer to some that are $300. Not sure what to buy.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.

To get one that will all the modules, you will be looking at 150 on the low end, and 5000 on the high end, the cheaper one will do just fine for what you need,Tim