hilltop4527
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
70175367

1989 toyota pickup: 1989 toyota pickup 4 wheel 4 clinder.no

Customer Question

1989 toyota pickup 4 wheel 4 clinder.no power to fuel pump.
Category: Car
Expert:  hilltop4527 replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hi I see you are having some trouble. I will try to help.

Customer:

If you are not getting any power to the fuel pump you will first need to check the fuel pump fuse. If the fuse is good you will need to locate the fuel pump relay. The best way to check the relay is to swap it out with a identical relay. A lot of times their will be identical relays there in the fuse box that you can swap with and then see if you are getting power to the pump. There are usually numbers on top of the relays. see if these numbers are the same and check to see if the terminals are the same.If you find one that is the same swap them out and let me know what happens. If you have a owners manual it should tell you where the fuses and relays are located, but if you have any trouble let me know and I will try to look it up for you.

Customer :

manual did not show pump fuse.not marked on relay box

Customer:

Hi I am sorry to see that you gave me a bad rating. I will try to help and maybe you can change my rating to a better one. The fuse is a 15 amp (BLUE) fuse it is located in the under hood fuse box. It is mounted on the passengers side towards the front of the truck. This fuse is called a EFI fuse. You will see 2 blue fuses together one of these is the EFI fuse. Check this to see if it is blown. There are also 3 relays in this box. From my diagram they look to be the same but check to be sure and if so swap them out. Let me know what you find I am still here to help.

hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cshecked fuse and relays still no power at fuel pump wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checked fuse and relays still no power to fuel pump

Hi I am still here to help. I need you to get a test light or a volt meter. You can get a test light at wal-mart or any parts store for $5.00. I need you to test the blue 15 amp EFI fuse to see if you have power on either side of this fuse with the key on. If not the problem lies in the key switch or the ECM(COMPUTER). Power is sent to this wire directly from the key switch or the ECM (COMPUTER). It depends on which model you have. Test this wire and let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have test light checked fuse ok.could it be efi round relay. what is the cmh.

Yes that would be the next step to check the EFI relay. Is there another Identical relay that you can switch the relay out with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it is differnt need to go to town.Talk to you tomorow.

You can pick one up at the parts store and swap it out.