CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Ok, so Im looking now at a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla

Ok, so I'm looking now at a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla - had a /92 and loved it! so, wht about a BMW? For say, $6-7K? Are there any that are as good as an Accord that I Can afford? What are their +'s & -'s??? Never thought I could drive a beamer...:-) Also, thought about finding an "old lady car" - an early '90's Olds/Buick??? comfortable and not very reliable esp for LA, huh? I'm going crazy!!!! aaarrrggg!
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

Ok, I've got to be completely honest here....

CarDoc :

a $6-7k BMW will cost quite a bit in maintenance and repair costs over the next 3 years

CarDoc :

I own and run a European auto repair shop and have had more than my share of conversations with customers, related to repair costs on their 10+ year old European cars

CarDoc :

And they ask my advice as to how to eliminate that

CarDoc :

And my answer is almost invariably "buy an Accord/Civic/Camry/Corolla"

Customer:

Ok, that's what I thought! Been looking at edmunds website - are they a reliable site? they seem to be and seem to "tell it like it is" no matter which car it is...

CarDoc :

Edmunds is a pretty good research site, yes

Customer:

the things that are most important to me - besides a good price! - are the usual "standards" - automatic/air/cruise/LOW road noise and comfortable seats...

CarDoc :

And for $7k, I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for in an 8-10 year old vehicle that I describes previously

Customer:

and, of course, top MPG - My current little '92 subaru avgd 15 -16 intown and sometimes 26-7 on the hgwy - will these others do better?

CarDoc :

The accords, depending on which level you choose, should get close to 30 combined

Customer:

and, fyi, I have always had a 4 cylinder and they have NEVER gotten the mpg they were supposed to! gak!

CarDoc :

same with the others. The civic and corolla a bit better

Customer:

which has lowest road noise?

CarDoc :

On an 8-10 year old car, this will be dependent on a LOT of things.

Customer:

??

CarDoc :

Tires, recent suspension repairs, etc

CarDoc :

you can have two identical cars, each shod with different tires, and road noise can be appreciably different, up to 8-10 db difference

Customer:

huh! Didn't know suspension had to do w/road noise!

Customer:

wow

CarDoc :

that makes the most impact, other than glass sealing problems

Customer:

I do understand about the tires - any brand better for an accord than others?

CarDoc :

Stick with good name brands. Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokohama, Continental, and you'll be fine

CarDoc :

no off-brand, no walmart/sears specials

CarDoc :

No matter what the salesman says "these are made by Michelin, but a private label"

CarDoc :

still with me?

Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok - thanks! One more question - when my little Subie's headgasket started leaking - my mechanic added a heavy duty sealant that was supposed to seal the gasket - I didn't put much stock in it, and had to leave town the day after it was done - [mother ill] - I was gone for 7 wks - when I returned I fully expected the radiator and the overflow tank to be empty - they were not! I also drove it for about 3 miles and it did not over heat! Could it possibly be that the "fix" worked? and if so, how long can it be expected to last???? :-)

Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, while I'm qualified to be very specific about the BMW part of this question, and give you information related to reliability of the Asian makes and models, the Subaru-specific stuff is beyond my scope.

However, I will leave you with this. My folks have a 99 Forester, that had the same symptoms. They used the Subaru-specific sealer, from the dealer, and oddly, it's worked like a charm. And this is coming from somebody who doesn't ever believe there's a "mechanic in a can".
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.