Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

Main engine control relay buzzes ,new relay,have no spark,this

Customer Question

Main engine control relay buzzes ,new relay,have no spark,this is a 96 suzuki x-90,1.6 16valve
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

Is this a 2WD or 4WD so I can pull the correct schematics?
Does the check engine light come on with the key in the RUN position?
Do you have a meter or test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4wd,yes,i do have a meter and test light

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Great!

With the key in the RUN position does the Check Engine Light come on?
Do all the electrical devices in the vehicle work, lights, radio, windows, door locks, etc...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes,and yes

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Ok here we go:

1) Measure the voltage at fuse #7 15A with the relay buzzing.
2) Remove the fuse and see if the relay stops buzzing.
3) Reinstall the fuse and remove the relay. Measure the voltage on the Black/Red wire
4) Measure the voltage on the Black/white wire.
5) Disconnect battery and check resistance of Blue/Black wire to a good ground.

Let me know what you get for these readings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont have a computer in the garage i will have to do it then get back to you

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
That is fine! I'll be on for a little while yet and I will be on and off during the rest of today. If I miss your response I will get back to you as soon as I come back online. Don't rush! Just make sure all the results are accurate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

11.8 at fuse ,relay stops when fuse is removed,blk-red 0 volts ,blk-white 11.8 volts, resistance blue-blk 1.0k

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Is that resistance 1000 OHMS?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
When you checked the voltage on Black/Red did you reinstall the fuse (step 3)?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Also, I want you to check the ground wire that attaches to the back of the engine right below the PCV hose. Make sure this ground is clean and tight. Then check resistance from that ground to the negative cable of the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ground is good ,resistance to cable is 7.0 ohms up&down some

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect connector E33 (middle connector) at the Engine Computer.

OHM check pin 1 (black/orange) to ground.
OHM check pin 14 (black/green) to ground.
OHM check pin 1 to pin 14 (both are going to the ground #3 that you already checked on the engine)

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if there is any other information you need to resolve this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pin#1 to grnd .9 ohm ,pin#14 to grnd .9 ohm ,#1 to #14 .4 ohm

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Ok, At the main relay I want you to unplug it and jumper the Black/Red wire to the Blue/Black wire. This will bypass the relay. See if the check engine light still comes on with the key in RUN (this is important). Also see if the scan tool will communicate now.
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that didn't work but i did find the problem the main fuse looked fine but it wasn'nt [80amp] thanks any way .you helped alot .

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad we found the problem! I'm not sure how fuse #7 could have had power with the Main fuse being no good... But at least its fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that was the trouble it had partial power,i see alot of wierd stuff because i work on so many different things . thanks

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Oh, ok!