Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

suzuki esteem: I have a 2000 suzuki esteem, im trying to replace

I have a 2000 suzuki esteem, im trying to replace the alternator but have run into a problem created by the past owner. The top bolt is higher than it should be and now sits behind the pulley above it, i need to know how to remove that pulley without breaking it please
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

Instead of removing the tensioner pulley, you will need to remove the entire belt tensioner assembly. To do that, you will need to remove the two smaller bolts that secure the tensioner assembly to the block, rather than the center bolt for the pulley. I'll attach a picture of the tensioner so you have a better idea of where the bolts are that need to be removed.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the tensioner pulley isnt the issue the large pulley above the alternator is in the way, i need to know how to remove that one pulley. it has no significant bolts or screws showing what to use to take it off, but there has to be a way

I see the problem. That is the power steering pump pulley, which is a pressed fit. So you will need to move the entire power steering pump out of the way. The mounting bolts are accessed through the holes in the pulley as shown in the diagram. Remove those and you should be able to move the pump out of the way far enough to get the upper alternator bolt.

graphic