Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
57969284

I have a 2000 olds bravada with 236,000 miles. For the past

Customer Question

I have a 2000 olds bravada with 236,000 miles. For the past few weeks it has been making a loud banging noise when I first start it. Once the engine runs for a few seconds, the noise stops and it runs and drives fine. The noise is coming from within the bell housing. Since the vehicle has so many miles I don't want to take it to the shop until I have an idea what could be wrong and how expensive the fix could be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 2 years ago.

Canuck Tech :

best guess is a broken flex plate.

Canuck Tech :

Big miles = look carefully before you spend any money to fix the truck

Canuck Tech :

If you are satisfied with this answer, please leave some feedback. Cheers, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Thanks. Do you have a guess on what the repair will cost and how long it will continue to run if I don't fix it?

Canuck Tech :

Cost is hard for me to calculate. You are looking at removal and replacement of the transmission, plus parts. There is also the possibility that this is an engine bearing issue. Your best bet is to take it to the mechanic, and let him have a listen. As far as how long it will go, can't say. The longer you let it go, the more chance of the problem doing some extra and expensive damage.

Canuck Tech :

Honestly, with this kind of miles, be super careful about repairs, because on a high miler the costs can spiral out of control quickly.

Customer:

thanks

Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
Any news?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Junked the vehicle. $1800 in parts and labor to fix it.

Was it the flexplate or engine bearings - sorry to hear the news. Todd