Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

Saab 900s: speedometer wont go past 40 on regular roads and

Bought a SAAB and the speedometer wont go past 40 on roads.  Took it on freeway tonight, and it did hit about 70-75   whats wrong with speedometer?

Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

Just seeing if you still
need assistance with this problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do need answers. Thank you
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I am confused, you say will not go over 40 but then say it does?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In town it jumps to 40 never above. When I got on freeway it hit 70-75 though But stays right at 40
Do you know what could be wrong
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

"In town it jumps to 40 never above."

Are you saying that it does not work normal and instead bounces/jumps to 40?

"When I got on freeway it hit 70-75 though But stays right at 40 "

Are you saying that your vehicle was actually going 70-75 but only showed 40 on the speedo or that it then went down to 40?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when I start the car and drive in town it jumps to 40 never below or above

But when I went on freeway it went to 70-75. Hasn't moved past 40 other then driving it on freeway
Was wondering what's wrong with it
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the speed sensors via an professional automotive scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. Could it be that
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I do not have access at this time to my repair software but if I remember correctly saab pulls the speed from one of the speed sensors.... A scan tool would show each wheels spee and identify if it was the problem, otherwise wiring, speedo and the such such be next checked.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't think it's the cluster? Hope not. Heard that's a pricey fix
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Jennie,

It could be many things, but it requires diagnosis to locate the problem..... Are you looking to try and find out what it is and fix it yourself or are you just trying to get an idea what it may be and will be having a shop preform the repairs?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes an idea what I maybe up against
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I just wanted to be sure. In that case without actual testing it could be any of the above I posted.

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Please
only rate my answer with 3 stars or more this is the only way I get paid for
services I have provided you only when you are ready to rate me. BONUSES are
appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 star please instead reply back
to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are negative
feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for those 3
do I get paid for my work. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply
back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. Please
also note that while I try very hard to correct the problem online for you,
however not all problems can be fixed in this way. The deposit you placed when
you opened the question is only a deposit and does not pay for my services
until you click accept or one of the smile faces then I get paid for helping
you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the
product. If you have any problems for
any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,