sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have an Audi A3 automatic (60,000 miles), 2009. Recently

I have an Audi A3 automatic (60,000 miles), 2009. Recently the car makes a deep humming noise which gets louder as I accelerate. The Audi service team say it's a faulty gear box and needs to be replaced? My questions are:
- what is the life expectancy on gear boxes?
- how much can this cost?
- is it possible to have such a major fault on a fairly new car?
- what are my options so I don't get ripped off?

Many thanks

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Happy to wait
Does the noise change at all when you swerve a little to the left and right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Haven't noticed any noise changes. Seems to be a constant noise unless I accelerate / deccelerate and it's noticeable only from inside the vehicle, rather than a noise which can be heard from the outside (eg if it was an exhaust problem). Hope this helps.
Which engine do you have?

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what engine you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think 1.6 lt
To answer your questions in order,

Life expectancy of an automatic transmission is usually longer than what yours has lasted. Generally you would expect 150,000 miles or more before needing major repair or replacement. That's not always the case though and sometimes failures happen at low miles. I've seen some last upwards of 2-300,000 miles without needing major work and I've rebuilt some that had less than 20,000 miles.

Cost will vary depending on local labor and parts prices and how it's repaired.

Yes, it's definitely possible to have a transmission issue on a fairly new vehicle. It's unfortunate but does sometimes happen. In your case it sounds like a bearing in the final drive section of the trans has failed and isn't something that could have been prevented, it's just a failure of a part.

There are a few options to repair it and this ties in with the cost question from above. The whole trans can be replaced with a new one and this would be the most expensive option. I'm showing $6,200 for a new unit. The next step down in cost would be a remanufactured unit which is usually a couple thousand dollars less. A used transmission can also be installed as long as one can be found and this would be the cheapest option, probably 1/4 of the price of a brand new trans. The labor time to replace the trans calls for 8 hours.

Another option would be to remove and repair your transmission as long as all the parts are available, cost for this would be somewhere in between the used and remanufactured price and depends on how much is wrong when it's opened up. Labor time to go through the transmission calls for 14.5 hours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Can I continue driving?
You can probably continue driving for a while but the noise will get worse. If you're going to have the transmission replaced as a unit then continued driving isn't going to hurt anything that won't already be replaced. If you were going to have it rebuilt though continued driving could end up causing more damage to other components because of the spreading metal debris.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience