Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Ram 3500: I would like to know how much oil would a 6.7 Cummins

I would like to know how much oil would a 6.7 Cummins have to loose before any warnings would appear on the dash of a 2011 Ram 3500? Also, about how much oil would be left in the oil pan when the pump could no longer access any oil?

Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

A low level indication will typically appear between 2-4 quarts, most often between 2-3 quarts low. To be honest it is unusual for one to get that low as they really don't use oil and tend to get some fuel in the oil during regen which will actually raise the level a little on some trucks.

As far as being so low that it will not pick up oil, it could vary by individual engine and whether it is level and how well the oil flows back down through the engine, but I would say somewhere around 6-8 quarts with it idling on level ground. But this is not exact as that is not a published spec.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Neal, I appreciate your quick & accurate response.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. May I ask what kind of problem you are having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a mechanic do some repair work & when he took it for a test drive the oil filter was damaged & the oil leaked out... I followed the oil trail for 1/2 mile when it was no longer visible... He continued to drive another 1.2 miles to return to his shop... At that point is when he says the oil light came on... He burned up the starter trying to restart it, but it would not start...Upon dropping the oil pan he found the crank shaft had spun bearings...I feel more damage than that was done, such as the turbo running without oil & the engine should be replaced... I have only 93,000 miles on the vehicle...He claims no responsibility & I should put it on my warranty or truck insurance.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Wow! I was afraid it was something like that. I doubt you would get that past the dealer for warranty. And unless there was some kind of road hazard that damaged the filter, I don't see the insurance covering it. I hope you get it worked out.

Please don't forget to rate my answer!