Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Isuzu Rodeo: Good morning. Gave my 95 Isuzu Rodeo 6cyl 4wd

Good morning. Gave my 95 Isuzu Rodeo 6cyl 4wd to my step daughter. Clutch went out, so her boyfriend replaced the clutch and then it would not start. I asked him if he moved the flywheel and he confirmed that he did. He's replaced the crank position sensor and swapped the computer to see if those were the issue, since he didn't remove the ground wire on the batter before working. The engine cranks, there is spark, there is fuel pressure. I'm guessing timing, but not sure if moving the flywheel would do that. I had the car's timing, water pump, belt & tensioner replaced about two years ago. What does this guy need to check or do? Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sense we do have a spark..and fuel pressure....

tims auto repair :

we need to make sure it is in time,,a quick way to test this is to spray starting fluid into the throttle body just to see if it will fire up

tims auto repair :

what engine do you have?

Customer:

3.2

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

will it fire with startuing fluid?

tims auto repair :

starting

Customer:

no

Customer:

it has spark

tims auto repair :

not at all?

Customer:

let me check -

tims auto repair :

ok..let me know

Customer:

can we communicate via email?

tims auto repair :

you may need help

Customer:

?

Customer:

he just turned the flywheel.

tims auto repair :

let someone turn the engine while you spray a little starting fluid into the thottle body

tims auto repair :

yes,,i read your post

Customer:

Ok - will do.

Customer:

can I email you?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i will fix this

Customer:

The car is not here/

Customer:

my email is XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

tims auto repair :

i will switch from chat to qa

Customer:

thank you sir!

tims auto repair :

i cant get any personal info

tims auto repair :

just reply back here

Customer:

ok - I will as fast as I can

tims auto repair :

sign in and reply to this question

Customer:

perfect - thank you.

tims auto repair :

take your time,,i will be on and off all day

tims auto repair :

i will respond as soon as i can

Customer:

me too

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

:)

tims auto repair :

thanks

Customer:

I got word from my step son that was there, that the guy "cook" did spray starter fluid in the intake and did not get it to start. I am confirming if my step son "Justin" was actually there or not & am waiting for confirmation from Cook.

Customer:

I'm wondering what he could have done by turning the flywheel. Talk to you soon.

Customer:

Ok - my son Justin said that he was there and sprayed starter in the intake and nothing. It sounded the same as when I was there, which was the engine just turning.

tims auto repair :

if it didnt start with the starting fluid

tims auto repair :

and it does have a spark

tims auto repair :

this tells me,it may have jumped time

tims auto repair :

there is really nothing at the flywheel that would cause this

tims auto repair :

the crank sensor is in the side of the block

tims auto repair :

regardless

Customer:

yep

tims auto repair :

it should fire on the starting fluid if you have a spark

Customer:

car ran fine

tims auto repair :

even if you dont have injector pulse

Customer:

I will have them do that again

Customer:

and check back with you

tims auto repair :

may be just a fluke......just so happen to jump time at this time

Customer:

yes - that would be a fluke and I'm buying a lotter ticket.

tims auto repair :

again,,there is no reason for it not to fire for a second on the fluid if it has spark,,other than being out of time

Customer:

I will check the starter fluid again. Talk to you soon.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

What is the ring that works the crankshaft position sensor ?

tims auto repair :

it is on the crank on this one

tims auto repair :

but,,isnt the problem if it wont start with starting fluid

tims auto repair :

and has a spark

Customer:

I'm happy to give you a good rating. Just need to know if you are aware of this ring this person is mentioning.

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

do you know where the crank sensor is

tims auto repair :

it is the ring on the crank

Customer:

here what I was looking at: 00 isuzu trooper 3ltr just fitted new flywheel in the
6oclock position turned engine before fitting clutch & gearbox & the
engine started so i fitted clutch and gearbox and now the engine is turning but
wont start! Answer: Would think the ring that works the crankshaft position sensor has got moved or
the sensor itself has been disturbed .

tims auto repair :

that the crank sensor reads off of

Customer:

This was for a Isuzu Trooper

tims auto repair :

it is thesame

tims auto repair :

but..doubt it

tims auto repair :

again..the reluctor is what the cranks sensor reads off of

tims auto repair :

on the crank

Customer:

unlikely that would be the problem then.

Customer:

ok - I give. Thx.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got spark & got fuel. Not start. Took to mechanic and I will confirm that it sounds like there isn't any compression. Engine kinda spins rather than trying to crank. So, he will check the timing. This is the MOST bizarre run of events I've every heard of.

Happy 2013. I will entertain you and let you know what it was.

hi john
yes,,please do let me know....it does sound like the timing
thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After all this, I finally got the information from my step-daughter that she failed to mention. Before parking the car as the clutch was slipping, the car reved up then finally engaged, lurching the car forward. So now I fully understand that the timing probably jumped. The mechanic said that the engine sounds like it's spinning, because there isn't any compression.

Thank you - I wish you the best for 2013.

you are very welcome
thanks for using justanswer