Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.
18805678

GMC S15 Jimmy: GMc jimmy 4x4. is there any way to disengage

Customer Question

GMc jimmy 4x4. is there any way to disengage the steering wheel lock for towing. i would like to get the front wheels to track in turns while being towed.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
did leaving the ignition key on work for you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes but i am concerned that i am doing harm to the electrical circuit and will drain the battery.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the best bet to not have to pull apart the steering column to remove the steering wheel lock pin is to just disconnect the negative battery cable then just leave the key on.that is your best and quickest was v/s tearing apart your steering column
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that was a poor answer i would have to reset everything at each stopit is better to leave the wheels locked

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
good day to you
Expert:  Auto Go replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
New expert here!

You should be able to turn the key just far enough that the steering wheel will unlock, but the electrical system will not actually turn on.

Otherwise, your only option is disassemble the steering column to remove the steering wheel lock mechanism. As long as the check engine light isn't on, then the electrical system in the vehicle is not on. The radio may come on and you may have a battery light on the dash but make sure the radio is off and you should be good to go. If the battery light is the only thing on, that's ok. The system is not "alive" and you won't be draining your battery.

Like the previous expert said, the only way to get around having to do this would be to completely disassemble the steering column to remove the locking mechanism. Special tools are needed for this procedure to do it safely and properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cancel any charges will be disputed through American Express

Expert:  Auto Go replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid i don't understand why you left a negative rating. Do you have more questions? Please if anything is unclear just ask! That is what we are here for and our job is not complete until you are satisfied!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the ignition switch. when you turn the ignition one stop from off that is the accessory position. There is still power flowing through the system. I am concerned that the constant power mnay cause damage and after extended time while being towed the battery will be drained. I havwe done this for short trips and it seems that the battery was affected. I was hoping to find someone familiar enough with vehicle that could tell me which fuse to pull. In the wiring diagram I cant tell where the ignition lock is powlered.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 1 year ago.
You would have to pull lots of fuses to completely stop the battery from draining. It would be much easier to just disconnect the battery as discussed earlier. There is no one fuse that will kill power to everything.

Keep in mind it is very hard on the on board computers to keep disconnecting power from them by either disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses.

There is no magic bullet to easily allow your steering wheel to rotate with the key off. That's the whole point of the system is to keep the vehicle from being stolen when the key is not present. If it was easy to defeat then the steering wheel lock would be pointless.

For the record i am very familiar with the ignition lock assembly on this vehicle. If you turn the key on, step on the brake and pull the transmission into neutral then turn the key back as far as it will go, the steering wheel will still be unlocked. Yes some power will still be flowing but not very much.

If you wish to pull fuses to stop the battery drain i would suggest just disconnecting the battery completely. I know you don't want to do it that way but I'm not exactly sure what it is you want me to tell you at this point. I am a professional at what i do. I have given you my professional advise. If it wasn't what you wanted to hear I'm sorry for that. But there isn't any easy way to defeat the steering wheel lock without having some type of drain on the battery. Your options are disconnect the battery, remove multiple fuses each time you tow the vehicle or have the steering lock mechanism removed.
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

your answer was of no use I will let the charge go through but I will NEVER use this clip joint again. I will be sure to stop any friends from getting ripped off. I should never been charged. Expert??????????????????