Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Corolla: I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8, When I turn the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8, When I turn the engine off (and remove the keys) there is a fast ticking noise coming from the throttle body. It stops when I disconnect the battery, however if left to continue ticking it eventually floods the engine. When turning the key back on (but not starting the engine) the noise changes to a louder clicking noise (similar to an old electric fuel pump). I have taken the car to an auto electrician and had a diagnostic computer run over it but no errors came up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

Any assistance would be great. The issue with the car has fixed itself for now, but as it is my wifes car, I want to have any faulty parts replaced or repaired asap. As you can imagine, the issue will probably raise its head again at the least convenient time.

Cheers

Darren

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
When you say floods the engine is the engine full of excess fuel when you go to start it up again or is it just hard to start,also is there any excess smoke out of the exhaust when this starts up again and does it smell like fuel?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only time it was left long enough to do what I thought was engine flooding, it didn't smell of fuel and there wasn't any excess smoke.

Basically it was hard to start, it turned over and over but didn't fire. Eventually when it did fire the engine ran very rough and died when trying to increase the revs. It sounded like flooding to my untrained but mildly experienced ear.

The battery was disconnected and left over night, and then it started in the morning.

I tried to find what the fast ticking noise was, and when I removed the pipe from the airbox to the throttle body, the butterfly was pulsing open and closed, it was only a small opening (didn't open all the way) but it was definitely fluttering so to speak. I didn't get to see what was making the louder noise when the ignition was turned on.

I also assumed it was flooding because of the throttle butterfly movement, i was assuming this would be letting in fuel and each pulse and this led me to believe that it was why it was difficult to start and ran rough when it did eventually fire.

Regards

Darren

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,from what you have described here if your vehicle has an electronic throttle body it may be faulty with it trying to reset its idle position as this will cause the butterfly to move like this.In some cases this can be caused by carbon build up in the throttle body as well.If you see any build up in it I would take a shop rag with some cleaner on it and wipe out the carbon to see if it corrects the fault.If this does not have electronic throttle control then it may be an idle air control motor at fault.

It is difficult to pinpoint the exact fault from here but from what you have described this sounds like what may be causing this and should be checked into to verify the fault.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Thanks Pete,

It sounded plausible that what you outlined was the main issue. I have purchased some fuel system cleaners and I will run them through the system. The car has performed faultlessly since it rectified itself, and I am hay to now know what may be required if it ever happens again.

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Darren

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future,thanks Pete.