Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Nissan/Datsun x trail: My X Trail radio on FM has severe interference.

My X Trail radio on FM has severe interference. Cd player works fine. FM interference is spoadic as if there is a bad connection somewhere. Thanks. David W
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes please, I haven't got any info yet.

Is the AM radio operating properly?

Is this an after market or factory radio in this vehicle?

Was anything done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for reply. It is a factory fitted radio which came with the vehicle - plus 6 CD changer.

The AM has interference also.

The interference started after a spell of icy weather before Christmas I think - not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks

Dave

Does this vehicle have an external signal antennae on it to get reception for the AM/FM signals and if so is it still in tact?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it has an external aerial which looks ok

O.k.,from what you have described here this sounds like an antennae signal fault.This may be caused by the antennae cable that runs from the aerial on the vehicle to the radio itself or in some cases this can also be an internal electrical fault inside the radio causing this.

The cabling would need checked to make sure there is no corrosion or loose connections leading from the aerial to the radio.If any faults are found with the cabling then it would need repaired or replaced.You may have to have the connections disconnected to check each connection.

If the cabling and mast/aerial are all o.k. then this may be an internal fault in the radio and would either need repaired by an authorized repair center or replaced to correct this issue.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your info. I can confirm that the antenna to body junction must have some corrosion as occasionally I can get clear reception by carefully moving the antenna. I shall pursue this with the guy who services my car and see if he can find the fault.

It has been worth talking to you and you have pointed me in the right direction. Thanks. Good service!

David W

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,