tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed master tech gm certifed 20 years experience
15993919

Hi looking for a tire expert for winter tires on a pick-up

Hi looking for a tire expert for winter tires on a pick-up truck. On it now are LT rated all-season tires. Living in Canada. I was wondering if I could get away with non-LT tires and if so what brands are made stronger. Some info on LT tires would be nice too.

Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  tripletauto replied 1 year ago.

There are several load ranges for lt tires. E range is usually a 10 ply for 1ton trucks.

Are you looking to run a snow tire for the winter or just an all around tire?

lt stands for light truck tire and p stands for passenger tire.

The f150 came with both p and lt series tire based on the model.

What size tires are you running and I will give you some options

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not often. It's now on LT245/75R17E. I started shopping for prices and LT tires are about 250$ more for a set here so I'm wondering if it's worth the stretch. Looking for a snow and ice tire.

Ok so what I am showing with these tires you have the heavy load package.

It would be best to stay with an lt tire.

Running a p series reduces the weight carrying capacity of the truck.

if you are just going to run them for the winter and not haul a lot then you should be fine.

your truck came with a e rated tire that is very stiff and designed to handle heavy loads.

being that truck is still a half ton and they do come with p series tires they are acceptable as long as truck is not loaded down. you will notice some different handling aspects. as the tire sidewall will flex more

looking at the firestone winter Lt tire it is rated at 3195 lbs load per tire.

The Bridgestone blizzak is rated at 2337 lbs per tire.

If you are going to be hauling any substantial weight spend the extra money for lt tires.

also the p series will not hold as much air pressure as the ones you have now so your low tire light may stay on.

tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certifed master tech gm certifed 20 years experience