sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

crd cherokee auto: XXXXX XXXXX a 2005 crd witch goes into the high

I have a 2005 crd witch goes into the high end of red heat range when towing uphill . I have had the guage recalibrated,new thermostat fitted , radiator

rflushed&Jeep coolant put inAdditional oil coolerfitted.Would useing wetter water and destilled water help.Would appreciate your help . Cheers Jack
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I see your question has been up for an extended time without a response. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes Please.
Have you done a block test to check for combustion gases in the cooling system?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No , my mechanic has all fluids,and has found all normal.they
Drive it around for 3 days once new thermostat was fitted , for long
short trips ,up&down hills . They used a separate temp guage that sat
at consistent 83deg, which I am told is normal . Towing a c/van up steep hills is the only time it happens .
It sounds like you probably have a restricted radiator. When radiator cores become restricted it will prevent coolant from flowing through them properly and it effectively reduces the size of the radiator. When this starts it will still run normal temperatures under many conditions but the smaller radiator won't be able to keep up with cooling under higher load conditions and then temperatures will climb.

What I would recommend is checking radiator temperature with an infrared thermometer while the engine is hot and there will likely be cool spots, indicating restricted cores and the radiator will need to be replaced. I see that they've flushed the radiator already, but that will have little or no affect on a radiator that is already restricted because the flush water will follow the same path of least resistance that the coolant is, and bypass the restricted cores.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it be cheaper and better just to put in a new radiator, and is
There one available with more bars in it . And what do you think of using
Wetter Water with distilled water pros& cons ? Cheers Jack
Yes, the best and really only way to repair it if the radiator is restricted would be to replace the radiator. If you're able to find an aftermarket one that's larger with more cores it would definitely cool better.

My experience with Water Wetter is that it changes nothing. I've used that and other similar products with no apparent results. You can try it and it should be under $10 for the bottle, but I don't believe it will have any effect on your problem.