Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2002 daewoo nubira trouble code 420

2002 daewoo nubira trouble code 420
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Did you use a OEM catalytic converter or aftermarket converter? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used a 50 states magnaflow. Also I remembered the first cause of getting this cause was a vacuum leek. corrected this and itn it's been 2 weeks without any codes. was throwing me also a 320 code. we corrected. and when we tried to pass smog test. I was told it did not turn 2 monitors to run it. also has a brand new timing belt, tensioner bearing and water pump. this last just for maintanence pourpuses. also I tuned thje engine. the only thing not replaced is the oxygen sensor, as my friends scanner, a matco, told me it was between normal parameters.

This code almost always means the catalytic converter has failed and they have a lot of problems with aftermarket catalytic converters. The only possible things this code can mean is exhaust leak, failed catalytic converter, or oxygen sensors and it is the converter 95% of the time. If the oxygen sensors are working correctly and there are no exhaust leaks I would either try another brand catalytic converter or replace with a OEM. I am sorry there is not a cheaper fix, please do not leave me a negative rating for the bad news. Let m know if you have questions or if you would like me to open question back up so you can get another opinion. Thanks