Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

I have a jeep grand ch. ltd. v8, two wheel drive. There is

I have a jeep grand ch. ltd. v8, two wheel drive. There is a tic,tic,tic, related to engine speed, can't hear on deceleration where do I start? It appears to come from front of engine. Bruce

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

Be sure to start off by checking the oil level. A low oil level can cause this symptom. From there I would get a mechanics stethoscope, and go over the engine with it. These mechanics stethoscopes normally cost less than $10 and are available at most parts stores. I cant overstress how well these work to locate unusual sounds in engines. You can even hear emerging problems before they can be heard with the human ear. I would go over the engine with a mechanics stethoscope and locate the sound. There is a good chance that the sound will be from one of the belt driven accessories, and have nothing to do with internal engine problems. Alternators, water pumps and other rotating belt driven devices are the source of many strange sounds when there are problems.

If it turns out to sound like an internal engine problem, you might also consider an oil analysis. Years ago this was only done on commercial engines in ships, and aircraft. But now it has become affordable, and only cost $25. You will receive a detailed report and it will tell you if you have internal engine problems, and actually tell you what items are suspect. I will post a link HERE where you can get this done, if you decide to proceed with it. I use these a lot, and am constantly amazed at how accurate and revealing they are. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 69 years old and this is my retirement endevor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like a stuck lifter, not rhythmic, I put a pint of sea foam in the oil. will this loosen a sticky lifter in a few hours, or will have to pull the lifter and clean it, or replace it.

If it sounds like a lifter, I would consider removing the valve cover and inspect the rocker arms, and look for a bent push rod, which will make the same sound as a sticky lifter. As far as using the seafoam, it will clean, but if the engine is dirty enough inside, it can move debris from harmless areas to areas where it can cause harm. It is just a caution, I know some people swear by it. Over the years I have rebuilt about a dozen engines that had just had seafoam put in them, and one of them was in a vehicle of mine. It is gamble most people get away with it, still it has risks. If it was mine I would inspect the rocker arms, and look for a bent push rod first. If that doesn’t pan out then that is when I would recommend trying seafoam. I have also seen engines clean up sticky lifters with a few rapid oil changes, using good quality oil. Run it about 1000 miles and change the oil a few times like this, is a lot less risky than using seafoam. Give it some thought and If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.