Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Holden Commodore: Is it possible to have fuel vapour lock happen

Is it possible to have fuel vapour lock happen in a 2008 VE SS commodore, on a hot day?

Eclayton4 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to to answer your question.

Eclayton4 :

Can you tell me approximately how much fuel was in the tank when this happened?

Eclayton4 :

And what was the temperature outside that day roughly?

Customer:

Fuel tank was approx half full. Temp of the day was around 40 degrees.

Eclayton4 :

OK, that's 40 degrees celcius or farenheit?

Customer:

degrees c.

Eclayton4 :

OK, has it happened just once? or does it happen often?

Customer:

Only happened once last Saturday. The car is the mrs daily drive and she's refused to drive it since. I was with her when it happened.

Eclayton4 :

Interesting, so it shut off, and then cranked right back up correct?

Eclayton4 :

Did it set off any check engine light?

Customer:

Correct. No reds on dash for anything. Fired back up as if nothing happened.

Eclayton4 :

OK, give me just a second.

Customer:

no worries. will be back in five mins.

Eclayton4 :

alright.

Eclayton4 :

One more thing, v6 or v8 engine?

Customer:

Back again. Its a 6l V8.

Eclayton4 :

Was she flooring it when it happened? under a wide open throttle type condition? or just cruising?

Customer:

No being driven normally, committed to roundabout and went to accelerate to 60km/hr as per normal driving.

Eclayton4 :

OK, it's really tough to say for sure, and of course if it only happens once, that is the toughest problem to solve, as you can't get any diagnostic equipment (fuel pressure gauge, or Engine monitor) on the vehicle when the problem occurs, It does sound fuel pressure/delivery related to me, as if it was spark related, I believe it wouldn't have cranked again. When spark goes it's usually gone for good. Fuel pressure/delivery can be more intermittant. If the vehicle is running and driving fine now however, I suspect fuel pressure is within spec, what I do is duct tape the fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and go drive it, drive the vehicle under the same conditions as when it cut off. Drive hard and around turns. You really want it to cut off with the fuel pressure gauge on it so you can see if it's fuel related, and I will bet it is, If the pressure starts cutting out when the car does, I would replace the fuel pump in the tank, the rail pump is most likely OK. If it doesn't mess up at all again, then your stuck with the theory of an air pocket, or a blast of water from bad fuel. or who knows, but that is about all you can do now since it's not acting up anymore.

Customer:

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX help mate.

Eclayton4 :

Absolutely. If you feel I've helped please rate my service positive, thank you and happy new year!!

Customer:

Will do. And same for you.

Eclayton4 :

thank you.