Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

RA - ml

Customer Question

i lost my keys to my 1996 chevrolet lumina , i removed the lock and then turned the switch . the accessories come on but starter will not engage . so i jump the starter over. it will start but only will stay running for about five seconds then shuts off . is there any way to overide the system ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. So you have no ignition lock cylinder in it at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any electrial wiring abilities?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
How did you get the lock cylinder out without the key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i used a screwdriver and a hammer . . yes i know . it was stupid . i did damage the lock cylinder . and there are two wires coming up to the switch . i thought by connecting them together . that would work . but it didn't

Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Ok those wires are the problem, they need to read a certain resistance if you use a resister you can attach each one of those wire to the resister to fool the computer. But to know the correct resistance you need the key and a OHM meter to read that pellet in the key. So to do the bypass you would need to contact the dealer to get this resistance reading or get the old key to get that resistance reading.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.

Why would you give me a poor service? I was only trying to help you with your problem. And if you can get that resistance number from the dealer I can continue to help. Have a great New Year