Joe, Technician
Experience:  27 years import and domestic auto repair.

Lexus SC400: Car: 1993 Lexus SC400 AutomaticProblem: When

Car: 1993 Lexus SC400 Automatic

Problem: When idling, engine struggles to stay on and eventually stalls.

Tried: Unplugged the MAF, car runs fine. Now check engine light is on and car runs rich. Replaced MAF, reset ECU by unplugging the battery. Replaced filthy air filter as well.

Result: Car idles fine (tested for about 15 minutes), check engine light is off, smell is gone.

Took the car for a spin around the block, engine stalls when I stop. I start the car up, start driving again and it stalls again when I stop.

I read that it could be the Fuel Pump ECU that needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. I will work with you to resolve the problem you are having with your Lexus.

Typically on these cars, stalling at idle is usually only one of two things. Try cleaning the throttle body with a spray type throttle body cleaner. Carbon gets built up around the throttle plate causing a stall at idle. Usually simply cleaning the carbon will resolve the problem.

If this doesn't work, you could have a problem in the ISC valve. (idle speed control) This valve is located on the throttle body and electronically controls the idle. Try tapping on it while the car is idling and see if the idle changes at all, sometimes they stick.