Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

its a 2.0 5speed

Customer Question

its a 2.0 5speed
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 ford escape, 120000miles on it. 2.0 with a 5 speed manual trans. as i said earlier i have replaced fuel filter spark plugs ,wires and coil and air cleaner. istarted it up and it ran about 3 minutes and just died . i replaced the crank sensor and camshaft sensor because i had no spark. istill have no spark afyter doing that. i have voltage going to the coil

It sounds like you have another question open another profile username. We need to continue on that post unless you can not access it any longer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothis is my only question

Is the crank sensor producing a AC voltage signal across both pins as the engine is being cranked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was hard to get to but I put a new one in,how should I check the voltage?

Do I need to take it out again?when I was

layingo the floor I heard a noise like a light bulb popping but there was not

You need to unplug the crank sensor, touch a volt meter set to AC volts to both pins and crank the engine. The sensor should be producing a rapid varying signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes its going like 1,4,6
Yes it is going like 136
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have you gave up? Can you call me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Sorry we can not call you, I took a break for a shower and some dinner since I did not hear back from you.

It appears your crank sensor is reading. You now need to see if the coil is bad. Unplug the coil. With the key on one wire should have power. The other wires should pulse a fast ground signal while cranking. If you get a ground signal then the coil is bad. If you get no ground signal then you need a scan tool to see if the crank sensor is getting a signal to the PCM. If its not then the wires are damaged. If it is then the PCM is bad. Another way to verify the signal is getting to the PCM is by the check engine light. The check engine light should remain on while cranking the engine indicating the PCM is seeing a crank signal.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Hello again Chris here.

If you have not yet rated my response or have not returned from an info request I sent out. Please do so now so I can help you resolve this concern. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Thanks Chris
.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found broke wire engine light stays on while cranking still no fire

Did you use a scan too tool see if there is a crank signal shown in the PCM. If there is and there is no ground pulse to the coil then the PCM is bad and has to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why is the plastic that covers the magnet on the crank sensor being rub off so fast

Oh, this is useful information. This is the reason your losing crank signal. The flywheel is hitting the sensor. This means the flywheel is damaged needing to be replaced or the crankshaft thrust washer is bad and the crankshaft is moving lateral in the engine allowing the flywheel to move back and forth. If a OEM sensor is being used and its still hitting, that means the transaxle needs to be removed to inspect the flywheel and crankshaft runout.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The yellow and brown wire to the crank sensor was broke somewhere so I ran a new wire. Still no fire. Check crank sensor again and no voltage. Replaced crank sensor again and no fire. Removed crank sensor and it was damaged also. Your flywheel idea is probably correct but I don't believe im going to get into that sounds like alot of work

If the crank sensor end is getting damaged and you cant remove the trans then it will need to go to a shop to have this addressed, prior to continuing any more diagnostics.